Anheim interbike show 1990

Mr. Zero":1soo2gwk said:
Oh yes, those were the days. The 1990 show was the first year I attended Interbike. At 18 years old, and at that point having had a solid 4 years working in and lurking around bike shops, Interbike was the next level of my ascension into bicycle enlightenment (read "geekdom").

That makes us the same age, and I remember reading that MBA article at the time (Paying a regular exhorbitant fee to WH Smith for the privelage).

I too fell in love with the Manitou there, and the "They'd never work in England" Marinovative's... but I also had a thing going for that Titan Ti.
Never saw one in the metal but there was something "retro like" about it even then.

Ah happy days. You kinda felt then that each new issue of MBA would reveal a further massive (and probably CNC'd) leap forward in MTB tech.

Here's one - in the world of the wierd, what happened to the Dan Sotello CRS? A case of nice idea (God knows if it was engineeringly worthwhile / eficient), wrong material?

It's funny about MBA,

i felt the same way, absolutely blew my mind every time i browsed through one in WH Smiths...

The early 90's were so huge for design...only looking back now do i realise how much so...

I've got a set of the Marinovative brakes (still in the boxes) - and I did use them on a Cannondale for a while with 700c wheels. OK (ish) on the road but I wouldn't have liked to use them off-road.

Rich":1v2viwyf said:
Yep, that ti GT was in their 90 catelogue as a special option...guess it can't have been much more for the full ti version, maybe that's why no one bought one.

Rich

correction:
The 1990 GT catalogue on our side of the pond listed the Ti/Cr-Mo version as the Xizang and the full Ti frame as the Xizang LE. I could kick myself blind because a guy in Florida had one listed on eBay a year and a half ago with full top mount XT build and it ran like three weeks before someone bought it for a lowly $350. I think there's pictures posted in some thread in retrobike.

Back