1992 Orange Aluminium O. Finished again! Which tyres???

If you decide to sell the 17" frame give me a shout as I may be interested, (will then need forks n other bits to build).
Matthew

ARGGGHHHHH!

I have two pairs of forks and neither will fit my new frame! The rigid forks appear to be a perfect fit for the 17" frame but too small for my 19" frame and the Manitou's are too big for the 17" and too small for the 19" by about 10mm.

Can you swap or extend the steerer tube on either forks? The rigids are Aluminium O forks but from a 17" frame.

Alternatively I'll have to start looking again for 1 1/4 threaded forks with 200mm steerer.

or a 1 1/8" steerer, 1 1/8" headset and 1 1/8" stem and some 1 1/4" to 1 1/8" reducer cups.

19" Alu-O has a 120mm headtube (2mm if you fit reducer cups)
So for threaded will need to be a bit less than 160mm long, depending on headset fitted.

the Manitou can just take a new steerer/crown rather then whole fork being replaced.

I was hoping to stick with 1 1/4 as I managed to source a NOS XT headset from an RB member in the states.

I'm now curious about my frame as the headtube is much bigger than yours. I think it's about 160mm plus the stack height of the headset at about 40mm hence the 200mm steerer. I'm away on business at the moment will have to do some more measuring when I get home.

Do you know where I can source a new steerer for my manitou forks? Or is the usual hunt the elusive part?

Cheers.

Good luck with the steerer is all I can say. Probably ids Luck if it happens to turn up for a price you want. But Alu-O's where common so maybe not to bad (and 19" is also)

The frame is the same as mine, same 3rd batch (out of 4). i.e removable dropouts, riveted cable guides. I can double check the length but I', sure I'm right (no not big headed just I will have checked it many a times) and I keep a record of them in google docs, should I ever need it.

160mm is the length of gate frames. That's 10mm longer then a 20" Kona and they are a long long headtube.

P.S. size measurement is Centre of bottom bracket to very top of the seat tube if I remember right. Not centre or top of the top tube. Maybe you have a 21" (if they made one, i'll look at the pics :oops: )

While you're at it though could you measure the rear drop out spacing (distance between the axle hole at the rear on the inside.) is it 130mm or 135mm ??

Ok So You first is smaller then mine or at least the seatube and slope of the top tube would say that.
But you new one is massive certainly larger than my 19" (headtube is as well).

Could just be the pictures on the first one but it looks different to me.

(click on the years in my sig to get to my threads)

Just had a measuring fest. The grey frame is 17" centre to top the White frame would appear to be a 21". The rear dropouts are 135mm.

df421dc6.jpg

ee5598cf.jpg

85946e2e.jpg

It's not the end of the world, the other dimensions top tube etc suggest it may be no bigger than some of my other bikes. Just need to resolve the fork problem.

Back