Koga Miyata Road Runner Mixed 1982

stuartg

Old School Hero
I have the pleasure of completing a rebuild of a koga miyata. Not sure what model the frame is, but hey this going to be fun to rebuild.

Sorry but not completing a full retro rebuild, but you have fun in rebuilding a bike that will last a lifetime.

The frame has been taken to Bob Jacksons and have been completing a number or changes to make the bike workable as a full touring bike.
The frame is 130oln, but take 27inch wheels, but will be kitted out with 700 wheels.

I will have some new weld points to take cantis and a full loaded front and rear rack.

I got the frame for 37 off ebay and will update the page as I complete the rebuild.

Attachments

• koga 2.jpg
    koga 2.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 4,257
  • koga rebuild.jpg
    koga rebuild.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 4,257
That sounds like quite a project, with the brazing on of canti bosses and so on. You will have to respray it afterwards. Any idea of colour/finishing already?

On Koga's website you will find all catalogues from 1976 on, so I think you should be able to verify what model you have overthere.

Thanks had a look at the website and cant find the archive brochures??

Yes, it will be a big project, the frame will be sprayed a similar colour, although I am losing the Koga transfers. It has a KM stamp on the forks so that is ok.

I am not going to stay loyal to a retro build, I have enough of those. More about building a bike that is pratical that will be loved and will take us away on hols.

Just finished the trecking bars, only 4 weeks for the frame to be returned.

Thought I would recap on the weld points that I have having put on:

- brakes on for a front a rear rack
- taking off the existing front brake-on, which would not take any weight
- cantilever points for the front and rear
- seat stay bridge for the cantilever cabling
- I was thinking of putting down tube braze-ons, but have followed the advice of Jackson's and having them placed on the head-tube - this appears to be their favoured position
- the chain stay - I am removing the existing cable stop, which is the top and then having on placed on the underneath

The frame will then be sprayed a mealtice burgundy/red. Unfortunately the crome has to go. I found at the whole for was chromed, but only the bottom 3rd showing. Having looked at the price of rechroming, as the bottom 3rd is in poor condition, I have decided it is uneconomical.

starting to get the gear for the bike, first a saddlebag:

Attachments

• Carradice%20Barleycorn.jpg
    Carradice%20Barleycorn.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 4,138
Now finished the trecking bars, with brooks tape and 7 speed bar ends and adapter. Found a nice brooks handle bar bag that is age(ish) appropriate.

The seat post is original 26.2 and a nice books professional s.

Attachments

• 100_0191.JPG
    100_0191.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 4,058
  • 100_0193.JPG
    100_0193.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 4,058
Back