Sucker for a Hard Luck Story

team_lard

Devout Dirtbag
I've done it again!

Saw me coming and I've bought a basket case . . .

22062011033.jpg

It's not really in good enough condition to build up without painting. The cranks were fubarred, the fork crown and head are rusty and if the Exage brakes can be resurrected it will be a bloody miracle!

22062011034.jpg

Would it be sacrilege if I use SVX, MA2s on Suntour hubs & 25mm tyres?

I've seen worse - a lot worse! Frame doesn't look half bad and brakes etc. are all easily found here or at jumbles.

Get it back on the road where it belongs!

With you on it of course ;)

SVX would be fine on that frame if you've got it lying around. The only sacrilege would be painting it matt black and turning it all "fixie".

Give those brakes a go - I've been amazed at how stuff comes up with an hour or so of hard work with Brillo pads on steel, autosol on alu and a good de-greaser. Are the crank threads fubarred or is the finish just very worn?

It should make a very useful bike if the frame is basically sound.

Mark.

daccordimark":29ewke6o said:
SVX would be fine on that frame if you've got it lying around. The only sacrilege would be painting it matt black and turning it all "fixie".

Give those brakes a go - I've been amazed at how stuff comes up with an hour or so of hard work with Brillo pads on steel, autosol on alu and a good de-greaser. Are the crank threads fubarred or is the finish just very worn?

Mark.

Crank was overtightend - the spider was cracked.

It's in the bin!

'FIXIE' ? W T F's one o' them, then?

Would you have a car with one gear ratio? No. You'd knacker the crankshaft. My knees are my crankshaft . . .

team_lard":svo75cfm said:
daccordimark":svo75cfm said:

Mark.

Crank was overtightend - the spider was cracked.

It's in the bin!

'FIXIE' ? W T F's one o' them, then?

Would you have a car with one gear ratio? No. You'd knacker the crankshaft. My knees are my crankshaft . . .

Good analogy and quite right too!

Back