MKM 531SL from 1985

Yep, with any luck I'll be riding the MKM on Wednesday for my first race since 1996. I've only managed ten minutes up and the road outside my house so far and that was quite scary. Those old brakes slow you down but as for stopping.....

Tomorrow night I'll give it a proper test ride for 10 miles and see what time I do. Anything more than 30 minutes and I might not bother on Wednesday!

Mark.

daccordimark":1viairjf said:
Yep, with any luck I'll be riding the MKM on Wednesday for my first race since 1996. I've only managed ten minutes up and the road outside my house so far and that was quite scary. Those old brakes slow you down but as for stopping.....

Tomorrow night I'll give it a proper test ride for 10 miles and see what time I do. Anything more than 30 minutes and I might not bother on Wednesday!

Mark.

Come on Mark, you know that riding 10 miles on your own is nothing like 10 miles racing! Get yourself a time under your belt and you'll be all set for winning handicaps next year ;)

I might even come out and give you a shout!

Old Ned":3ftzv00e said:
daccordimark":3ftzv00e said:

Mark.

Come on Mark, you know that riding 10 miles on your own is nothing like 10 miles racing! Get yourself a time under your belt and you'll be all set for winning handicaps next year ;)

I might even come out and give you a shout!

Oh dear! You really are piling on the pressure now. I'm hoping the heat of competition will make me at least 5mph faster than on the ride to work!

Finally gave the reborn MKM it's time trial christening. The bike was great apart from a dropped chain during the warm up but that's the risk with single chainrings. Old Ned gave me some good advice by suggesting I change gear slowly and sure enough there were no mishaps during the race. The ride was good on those Vittoria tubs and the frame felt very lively but stiff. My old legs aren't anywhere near strong enough to flex even 531SL these days.

My time is over in the 2011 Time Trial Season Thread

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 8&start=45

Mark.

Nice machine indeed & needs a 57 ring to make it look like a TT bike from that era.

Always preferred there Ultimate Frames.

Nob":1zh7p19f said:
Nice machine indeed & needs a 57 ring to make it look like a TT bike from that era.

I've offered Mark a 54 ring - but for some reason he declined. I had a 59 as well but someone bought that.

Nob":3kskzwuc said:

Thank you Sir Nob. I always was a twiddler back then so I've no hope of turning a 57 these days with my legs of wet spaghetti. Lesson learnt though - I'll put the straight through block on for next time.

Mark.

Back