Chainset compatibility question

roadking":ssabynb0 said:
Hi.

Or keep the Gipiemme chainset and change the freewheel and rear mech(for a long arm one).

Ride with that setup and then decide where to go spec wise.

Simple?

Roadking.

David and Roadking, thanks for the further advice.

David, the current Gipiemme is 144 BCD (did I get the letters right?) so 42 is the lowest ring that'll fit - I hadn't thought of getting an old-school chainset that has a smaller BCD and can fit smaller rings - I'll check out the Stronglight you suggest.

Roadking, great minds think alike. To keep me going, I've fitted a seven block 13-34 but for the roads round here even a 42F 34R gear is too high for me. Also, the block jumps from 25 to 34 in one go, so it's a big gap. It'll be fine for now, as you suggest, but I'll prefer a 13-28 with a compact chainset whether old or new.

Thanks again.

I have a Stronglight 80...48/36 with a good quality TA BB of the correct length...never been used....i think it has been fitted and then removed....including chainring bolts and crank bolts....plus an extra 45T chainring in Zircal that is NOS and sparkly clean.....all i want is what i paid.....about £60 plus postage.....but i might be interested in your chainset if it is indeed 144bcd..so perhaps an exchange of some sort with a cash adjustment...also have a couple of freewheels....plus a 48/34 110 bcd shimano R700 [similar to Ultegra] chainset and Hope external BB..that is more modern.....i live near Cambridge....pm if interested....i can then supply pics etc.

Update: the thread on the LH crank stripped its thread, so that, together with the deeply pitted 52 ring, render it pretty unusable.

Also the rear block going from 25 to 34 is just too big a jump so I will replace it with a 12-28. The bike shop is kindly doing a free exchange even though the 12-34 block is now used.

I've now moved to plan B which is to get a compact chainset. I appreciate the kind offer but I actually already ordered a NOS Stronglight with BB for the same price, £60.

Back