Winter boots, which are best?

FST4RD

Senior Retro Guru
Hi all!
Seeming that most of you's come from a land where there's a lot of rain and mud I thought this would be the best place to ask.

Looking for some SPD shoes that I can wear during winter. I have Specialized ones at the moment, but they have so much mech that 20 meters into the ride my feet are wet and cold.
I was looking at the new Shimano Gortex ones, they look cool and the reviews seem to be good.
What are peoples opions?

And before anyone says anything... I'm not wearing over bootie things, just don't like them! :LOL:

In winter up here I use shoes that drain quickly and I wear warm when wet ski socks - although any wool sock is like that.

My thoughts are if you have a goretex shoe or sock and the water gets above it then you are going to have water against the skin that can't get out = cold feet.

I asked thi ssame question before last winter, in the end I got a pair of Sealskinz waterproof socks and they seem to work very well.

Shimano MT 90/91 seems like an excellent investment if you do alot of cold stuff. In fact they've been recommended as an almost year round boot for Scotland :LOL: If the Spesh shoes suit you though what about the Spesh Defrosters.

kaiser":1ln3fnvd said:
Shimano MT 90/91 seems like an excellent investment if you do alot of cold stuff. In fact they've been recommended as an almost year round boot for Scotland :LOL: If the Spesh shoes suit you though what about the Spesh Defrosters.

I didn't know that Specialized did a winter boot?
Problem in NZ is that cause we're such a small market they don't bring in a lot of stuff...
Like the Shimano gortex boots they had on special through the NZ Shimano supplier really cheap... but only had them in size 44! What! Can't even get my big toe into a size 44! :LOL:

jimo746":2k525gti said:
I asked thi ssame question before last winter, in the end I got a pair of Sealskinz waterproof socks and they seem to work very well.

I'll look into this...
It gets very very cold here riding, especially in the morning!
I come back from most rides in winter not being able to feel my feet, ears, face, hands... But feet are definately the worst.

Right so according to the official Specialized sight They don't do the defroster shoe in NZ :roll:
Can anyone tell me what they are worth?
Or better yet find me a site where they sell Specialized products that I could buy some from?

I've got Shimano boots - don't know what model but a few years old and holding up well.

they are black with a plasticky covering so totally waterproof.

ofcourse by being totally waterproof means that vapour cannot escape from inside the shoes so my socks do get damp.

the choce for cwrapping up against the colde is: wet and warm or cold and dry - choose one.

Back