531 / frame expert needed

ksvb5368

Retro Guru
Hi,

I'm looking at the 1991 Raleigh sales brochure and am trying to decided the difference in quality between the touring selection of the Touriste, Royal and Randonneur. The one thing that I am alittle confused by is the description of the tubing so was wandering if anyone could maybe help? (I have an original copy of the brochure but think there is also a scan in the the archive section on this site, although it is in German.)

Okay, so the Randonneur and top of the range is described as "Full 531ST tubeset with forged verticle dropouts", the Royal as "Full Reynolds 531st tubeset [with] verticle drop outs" and finally the Touriste as " Reynolds 531 butted main frame tubes".

So having heard the expression "full 531" before, I would assume that for the randonneur and royal this would mean that the whole frame is made from 531ST including the drop outs and that the touriste would only have the downtube, seatube and toptube made from 531. However, what is the difference on the "forged" dropouts of the randonneur but not the royal?

Furthermore, the forks of the royal are decribed as having "Sloping Crown 531 Blades" and the randonneur as having "Forged Crown 531 Blades". Could someone maybe explain the difference?

Thanks in advance.

Full tubing just means all the tubing in the frame (inc forks) are made from that tubing, dropouts are not part of the frame tubing.

Forged basically means made by bashing it into shape, as opposed to being machined or stamped out, etc. Forging results in a stronger part. So bear that in mind when small manufacturers boast that their parts are machined from solid billet.

"Sloping crown" is its shape.

You were right in your first post when you said the Touriste would have 531 top tube, seat tube and down tube. The forks, chain stays and seat stays would be some other tubing, probably Cr-Mo of some sort.

Mark.

Cheers Mark, sorry if my next question is going to sound kind of daft but did some manufacturers use less than 3 tubes of 531 on a frame just so they could put the sticker on?

No, a company lie Raleigh would make thier lower end 531 frames with the 3 main tubes in 531. As mentioned above the other tubes and forks would be made from other material.

I just hear alot of people making a big deal of "full 531" and I wondered what the big deal is, but what you are saying is all they are really talking about is the forks?

531 through out is a much nicer ride than just main tubes it will be lighter too (which generally makes for a better ride). It's a bit like a Golf Match vrs a GTI or 1.6L vrs a Ghia trim, or any other cars you can think of.

ksvb5368":txjr9fj5 said:
I just hear alot of people making a big deal of "full 531" and I wondered what the big deal is, but what you are saying is all they are really talking about is the forks?

Not just the forks. The chain stays, seat stays, head tube and steerer would also be 531 in addition to the 3 main tubes and fork blades in a full 531 frame.

Mark.

Back