How do you remove Williams cranks?

silentsparky

Dirt Disciple
As title, I've removed the pinch nut but what's next????

williamscranks.jpg

Cottered cranks just slide off the axle once you removed the cotter pin (the thing the nut is attached to)
My old williams had a screw on spiral bottom bracket fitment, very funky.

Leave the nut on fully threaded, ie a nut full of thread, more than you have in the picture and then strike it hard and very square. The pin "should" then fall out.

If it doesn't come out, PlusGas is your friend. Failing that, heat works but risky with chrome and paintwork, and I've also drilled one out, but it took a long time. Fingers crossed your cotter pin is happy to come out!

Yep, knock that pin out and it should come free. The cranks often need a bit of persuasion once the cotter pin is out because the cotter pin can slightly deform the axle. It can make it a bit tight.

Hammering is much more effective if you support the crank underneath using a bit of pipe (like an old seatpost) - one end of the pipe over the protruding cotter pin and the other end onto a hard surface. It's easier if you get someone to hold the bike for you.

If you don't support the crank, the energy from the hammer is getting absorbed by the frame/wheels. Also, hammering without support can mash up the bottom bracket bearings!

Don't tap it either. Whack it as hard as you can. If you tap it, you'll bend the cotter pin rather than popping it out.

Thanks for all of the advise, soaked it in some GT85 and have made some progress with a hammer:

williamscranks2.jpg

Can't seem to get it out any further, so am leaving it to soak some more...

It should come out once you tap it with something to knock it through, could use a punch if you have one or even a thickish bolt with wide head,(not too long though)

Back