Fox Float RL Rear shock problem

A stuck-down shock will eject its air can at a hell of a rate, I'd be taking a few more precautions.

First thing to try is to pump it up really hard to see if you can blow it open again - Fox recommends 250psi. Then let all the air out, whether that works or not. Cycle the shock, release air again. Do that a few times - there's a good chance that some of the air the wrong side of the seal will creep back through as you cycle it so you may be able to get most of it out. Then take the can off. The usual method is a bar through the shock eye, but that's likely to hurt if it blows off. Best tip I've seen is to use one of those plastic strap oil filter wrenches with the other end of the shock in a vice and a cardboard box over the hole thing -- cut a slot in the side for the wrench handle. Can't go far then :)

MikeD":3lpv6w0h said:
A stuck-down shock will eject its air can at a hell of a rate, I'd be taking a few more precautions.

First thing to try is to pump it up really hard to see if you can blow it open again - Fox recommends 250psi. Then let all the air out, whether that works or not. Cycle the shock, release air again. Do that a few times - there's a good chance that some of the air the wrong side of the seal will creep back through as you cycle it so you may be able to get most of it out. Then take the can off. The usual method is a bar through the shock eye, but that's likely to hurt if it blows off. Best tip I've seen is to use one of those plastic strap oil filter wrenches with the other end of the shock in a vice and a cardboard box over the hole thing -- cut a slot in the side for the wrench handle. Can't go far then :)

Fox tech guys recommend the rag through the eye technique, if you put a bar through and it comes off with force it may damage the dust seal housing, I would go with the rag technique personally

Interesting stuff guys...

I'm tempted to try Mikes solution first...

After that, I'll go for the Dangermouse approach. Already got three kids, so if I cop for an unfortunate one when the chamber blows off, it'll s`ave me a trip to the clinic...

Will report back on how things go...

ringo":3e6h9xpj said:
Interesting stuff guys...

I'm tempted to try Mikes solution first...

After that, I'll go for the Dangermouse approach. Already got three kids, so if I cop for an unfortunate one when the chamber blows off, it'll s`ave me a trip to the clinic...

Will report back on how things go...

:LOL: :LOL:

If you do Mikes bar way just make sure you wrap the bar with cloth because if the seal lip gets damaged thats the cannister buggered mate ;)

Corr Chief... that's a very kind offer. I'm on the East side of...... Leeds!

Yours

Penfold

If you do Mikes bar way just make sure you wrap the bar with cloth because if the seal lip gets damaged thats the cannister buggered mate

I'm sort of hoping he's referring to trying the plastic filter wrench variation, given it's stuck down ;)

Problem now sorted - a million thanks to Pete (Dangermouse).

Pete came over and separated the shock - there was actually no air trapped so it didn't go with a bang. He then fitted the new seal kit and pressurised it to my preference...

As I say what a guy!

Hope the Karma gods are kind to you...

Rich

Latest posts

Back