Identifying my Eddy Merckx frame?

westy7

Retro Newbie
Can anyone help me identify my Eddy Merckx frame? Serial number L9x-9825-B. I think it could possibly be a Corsa Extra, but the colour scheme seems all wrong for the possible models. Could be a Team Domex/Wienmann?

Attachments

• DSC_0068_edited-1.jpg
    DSC_0068_edited-1.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 2,634
I recently sold my Corsa Extra, and from your serial number I believe yours is indeed a Corsa Extra.
The third character 'x' denotes Corsa Extra, second character '9' denotes size 59 (centre to centre).

Can you read any of the (apparently) ghosted worded on the seat tube sticker (eg 'SLX')? It should be SLX if it is a Corsa Extra (there are some very rare Corsa Extras in 753, but very few and far between, I'm not sure of the changes to serial nos for 753s, if any).If SL, then its a Corsa, if Deda 01 then Corsa Zero Uno, etc.

How long have you had it? What are your plans forit?
They are wonderful, stable, stiff frames - enjoy it.

David

The seat tube and the main frame downtube had decals from a shop in Wolverhampton, Fred Williams Cycles, I will have to have a look for the SLX markings.

I have had the bike for years, it is too big for me really. I was thinking of restoring it, hence trying to find the correct colour scheme and model, though dont really have the time at the moment. And I am thinking why restore something just to look at?

Possibly looking at selling the frame, forks and headset (Campagnola Mirage), though the other components are going to my father possibly as a transplant for parts on his 80's Raliegh.

What kind of value are the frames? Seen all sorts of prices on e-bay and other forums.

Thanks for the information, gives me some insight.

The market/pricing of Merckx frames is quite variable. In the US the frames generally fetch more than in the UK/ Europe.

Merckx frames commonly appear on both E bay and LFGSS, so that can give you an insight.

My (short story version) experience is of having enjoyed riding a Merckx Corsa Extra (in Weinmann team colours - pink/blue etc) so much I decided to have it resprayed in red, with the various decals etc. I had this done at Mercian at a cost around £190. I couldn't then bring myself to ride this pristine frame, so I had it built up, unridden for two years when I decided to sell. Sold on the bay for £275, in pristine condition (frame and forks only). I'm confident if I'd sold in orignal condition I would have got considerably more than the £85 difference.

I've seen sales of pretty average condition ones go for late £100's (eg £180), albeit with original paint and decals etc. Others were asking £400 or so, but being available for a long time (despite various opinions expressed that the price is 'reasonable').

I don't think you will get your money back for the cost of a respray - better to allow a buyer to factor that cost in and they can get the coliur scheme of their choice. The lack of Merckx decals may reduce the market a little. Not sure what I'd do, but I would at least consider getting a set (eg Cyclemondo) of decals to dress the frame up, for the sake of £20 ish.

Pricing is tricky (there is a topic specifically for help on that on this forum), in the current state (no frame tubing sticker, or Merckx decals) I'd have thought around £100, maybe a little more. As I said at the start, the pricing is very variable - depends if you advertise when there are a couple of guys looking for a 59 you may do well, if not, then you could have a bit of a wait.
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... &start=210
Good luck,

David

The good news is : It's a genuine Merckx frame

The bad news is : Someone has repainted it with flourescent yellow and red paint (probably to deter thieves)

Because of the underlying quality of the frame it will still attract buyers on ebay, despite the fact it needs a respray.

I reckon £100 to £150 depending which way the wind is blowing

Good luck

:cool: :cool: :cool:

X stands for SLX/SPX; X does not stand for Corsa Extra... CE 753 and CE Max had no "their" markings, CE TSX was TT (Century TSX - TTB), CE SLX road racing geo - X, CE SLX century geo - XB, Criterium SLX - CX... frame built in spring 1990, Corsa Extra SLX/SPX 100%

Back