What bar tape

cobby1970

Geoff Capes
what bar tape would you reccomend that gives a good degree of comfort looks suited to retro bikes and doesn't cost the earth?

thanks

Depends what retro means.

If it's late 80s- 90s then there is only one word - Cinelli.

If early 80s, something more plasticky would do - like the Fizik stuff mentioned above.

Earlier than that, then cloth tape-type stuff or thin Benotto type.

I like tressostar on ''old'' bikes. Mostly black or white. The white clean as it is, or even ''realy used''. :D
DSCN3251.JPG

dutchie":pibylv2l said:
I like tressostar on ''old'' bikes. Mostly black or white. The white clean as it is, or even ''realy used''. :D
DSCN3251.JPG

Gets my vote. No.1 on all my bikes.

For a bike with gum brake hoods, Velo Orange's elkhide bar-covering looks awesome and is a fraction of the price of Brooks or Cinelli leather tape

personally, I dont like the fizik stuff. Have the honey colour which looks great but kills your hands!

I don't agree with brown/honey/whatever you call it colour tape.

Bar tape has to be white! OK a plain colour is acceptable if that's your thing. But who the hell came up with that hideous splash tape?

My favourite is white cotton, when it's used for a bit and goes slightly grey it has that worn in look, also feels excellent under your hands. Benotto looks smooth and slick, lasts forever but is a bit slippery when wet, but then it doesn't need drying out.

Back