BoTM May 2011 'Made In Canada 'eh' - Nominations please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regards the Look bikes, I totally disagree with some of the stuff being said about them in this thread and that other one on here. I really question the price stated for the bike, the maker of it and many other things!

First, here's the Canadian decal on them:

3.jpg

Sadly that doesn't mean the frames were made in Canada, in much the same way that Raleighs and Saracens that say 'made in Britain' were actually constructed in Taiwan and built up in the UK, or the 'handmade by Tom Ritchey' vs 'handcrafted by Ritchey bikes'.

Second, I'm not sure that Peter Grisley ever built a bike as he wasn't a bike builder- he was a US based marketer and designer. He was based in Utah and bought Reflex from Easton while he worked for Reflex and then went on to produce bonded bikes and taiwanese welded alloy bikes under his name and for Peugeot. Then he sold the whole thing to Peugeot, peugeot moved everything to France and everything was then sold to Cycles Europe and branded as Look. Peter Grisley then went on to work for BH in Spain. So I am not sure where the line in the other thread that Peter Grisley hand brazed bikes in Canada came from, but I hope one of our Canadian friends will prove me wrong.

As far as I can see some bikes were built up in Canada (probably to serve the US and Canadian markets) and some were built up in Europe to serve the EU market.

Finally, unlike some of you, I never remember these lofty prices being pushed around when I sold them or saw them in shops and mags. Sure they had a full range of prices but nothing like £1200 for a steel frame with mudguard mounts! Mudguard mounts almost always mean low/mid end.

Check here for US prices
http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Bike ... Brand=Look

Mi50 for $400, Mi70 for $750, top end Mi900 was $1899 so I would suggest that £1200 for the basic Mi60 is pie in the sky.

You have frames by Brodie and DeKerf, and now one from their mentor.
This is my next project bike, a 1993 Rocky Mountain Tantulas. Hand made by Billy B. I was planning to do a complete overhaul and cleaning of all the parts. Then posting some pictures. Because of the BOTM, my bike is not fully ready. I included a picture of some parts I well be putting the Tantulas.
The frame, fork and stem is made by Rocky Mountain. Syncros handle bar, seat post, hubset, titanium bb and soon rims (made in the US). Race Face I-Beam and soon well have Race Rings. I well be Brodie brake boosters. A nos Rocky Mountain leather saddle.

Attachments

• IMG_8505.JPG
    IMG_8505.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 246
I would like to nominate my friend's Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt

Attachments

• IMG_8454.JPG
    IMG_8454.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 928
pete_mcc":apgzxotm said:
Regards the Look bikes, I totally disagree with some of the stuff being said about them...

haha yeah! That stuff abot the Mi60 frameset is a bit, well... tall... that's where £1200 is claimed, for frameset only! The Mi60 has mudguard eyes because it doesn't have the Ritchey forks of the higher models... I read that and just, um, read on... Maybe somebody was fleeced by a dealer

The stuff on BikePedia refers to bikes later than the ones in these threads - Mi800 (DX) and Mi900 (XTR)

I have an Mi80 (Originally would have had XT or later changed to DX components) Mi80R is Rithchey kit and the Mi90 was Campy and these are very nice, high quality bikes

Says designed and engineered by Look, Says triple butted tubing, Says made in Canada, Says Precision crafted by (welder's initials) and the forks are Ritchey, that's about all I know

It'd be nice to know more but it looks like the swirling mists of time have enveloped all the other facts

FMJ":mmbboejp said:
Ok. I redid my DeKerf over the winter. Here's what I came up with. Build thread here.

That IS lovely!
Allthough I would change the RaceFace crank for a nice XTR M900 one. This one draws too much attention to the crank! But..... that's just my opinion! It's a beauty!! :p

stumpjumper1990":1ztq5607 said:
FMJ":1ztq5607 said:
Ok. I redid my DeKerf over the winter. Here's what I came up with. Build thread here.

That IS lovely!
Allthough I would change the RaceFace crank for a nice XTR M900 one. This one draws too much attention to the crank! But..... that's just my opinion! It's a beauty!! :p
A Syncros (similar design to M900 version) would look nice and keep the Canadian emphasis going.

---
My high end, c. dekerf built, rocky mountain race frame has rack mounts...

roc6839":38pavjkk said:
I would like to nominate my friend's Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt

It wouldn't surprise me if the gold RaceFace spider hasn't been specifically sought, I can see a gold hub nestling in that front wheel and a gold headset, so I expect from other angles it looks more balanced and makes more of a theme

Another strategy to make the drive side money shot look more balanced could be to get a gold skewer set and seat binder/QR...

Helluva Nice bike though, I'm certainly not a critic!

I just traded away my only made in Canada frame, damnit! I certainly hope the new owner has something to show us this month.

I will just say that I have a couple (three actually) Canadian bikes, and two of them are somewhat unusual and both pre-1988, but both have Japanese frames and so are excluded, neither are competitors against the likes of a Tantalus or Expresso, but if the nominees end up a bit thin it might be a good idea to move the goal posts a little?

From what ive read and heard mine is a 'real' Dekerf.

So ill add mine to the running.

Attachments

• SDC10955.JPG
    SDC10955.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 770
  • SDC10954.JPG
    SDC10954.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 770
mechagouki":3da1z9m9 said:
I just traded away my only made in Canada frame, damnit! I certainly hope the new owner has something to show us this month.

I will just say that I have a couple (three actually) Canadian bikes, and two of them are somewhat unusual and both pre-1988, but both have Japanese frames and so are excluded, neither are competitors against the likes of a Tantalus or Expresso, but if the nominees end up a bit thin it might be a good idea to move the goal posts a little?

i'm willing to "loan" it back to you to do up the build and enter it in! :LOL:

:evil: poo! i have a fleet of Rocky Mountain which are CLEARY Canadian, but they are either excluded from entering cuz of the restriction, or because they in the state of unfinished limbo.

BTW, where's JUPKE and TIBOLTRIDER??? :?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back