crank removal help - please

sausagefingers

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
this is driving me mad.how do you take a hollowtech crank off?
trying to take a deore m470 hollowtech crank off and i'm totally flummoxed :oops: .
removed the crank bolts and tried the schoolboy errors of gently tapping the arms (won't budge),prizing with a screwdriver (no chance),crankpuller's no good (tits on a bull),checked crc for correct tool (can't find owt that looks like it would work) even had a look on youtube to see how the spanner monkeys do it (nowt happening).
am i going to have to get the hacksaw out?
so come on,i know i'm a northern thicko but how the hell do i shift these cranks from hell (one carefull owner, coming to a sales section near you) :D

ok maybe a pic would help?
what tool are you using? some of them come with two different bits for different types

what size bolt (s?) are they?
year of cranks?
more detail ;)

bet you have the wrong crank puller? stick 5p in the hole where the bolt goes and then use your tool, I think you have the octalink/isis bb set up and the earlier bb cranktool, on the octalink/isis set up there is nothing there for your crank tool to push against, with a 5p piece in there it has a something to push against so it should no work! make sure you centralise the 5p betfore you really start to apply preasure!
or get the right tool...
http://www.bicycletoolguy.co.uk/ice-too ... r-40-p.asp

well,that didn't quite go to plan.the 5p is now half the size it started out as and is well and truly stuffed down inside the bottom bracket.the cranks were being thrown anyway but i guess there's a lot to be said for using the correct tool :cry:

yeah i bent a 5p doing it
but have since used a qr seatclamp bolt - fair size one but doesnt compress :cool:
you must be using the wrong size bit/tool

I use a standard crank puller and a bolt or bar right the way through the bb up against the bolt on the other side.

Did one the other night and used a quill bolt with the head end chopped off to the right length, worked fine.

i used a square taper puller on an isis crank with a 5p (needed to file a few thou off the outside edge of it so it would fit) it turned the 5p into a cone shape but it did work.

another method which will work, if a little harsh, is to put the crank puller on one side and then rattle it from t'other side with a length of bar / long screwdriver and a mallet through the axle. it isn't dignified but it should do the trick without damaging the crank.

thanks for the help but i had to admit defeat and seek outside help :oops:
luckily someone with for more knowledge and tools sorted it out for me.
he screwed a hope head doctor bolt inside to give the crank puller something to push against and off popped the cranks,job done :D .
righto,now that's sorted i'm off for a go at stripping and servicing my forks :roll: god help me

Back