Fox Float RL Rear shock problem

ringo

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi all

Got a problem with my Fox rear shock... I cannot get the shock to move (other than around 2mm of compression)

It seems stuck at it's maximum compression. Also it won't lock out. With the lever in the lock out position it just does the same...

Can't seem to get air into it either and there was evidence of oil around the inflator valve...

It was fine (it's been fitted to a frame I'm building) but seemed to go funny when I put some wheels on the frame and pushed myself down the drive

Below are pics of current state and one of it fitted to the frame (A Tomac 98 Racing Special).

P1010284.jpg

P1010278.jpg

Any advice appreciated. Not used to working with shocks (all a bit modern for me!). It's almost like it's gone into a sort of limp home mode. :?

Wow, thats's not for the faint hearted - I'll get the wife to do it tomorrow for me... :D :D

Looks like the air gets pressurized on the wrong side... Is there a safer way to release the pressure 9and protect the shock innards?

if thats the case
do it while its on the bike
i believe when you put the sleeve back on, it creates a kind of vacuum between the seal and the top of the compression rod bit (where the seal sits at full extension)
thats normal, thats what the ideo looked like to me

I've got a similar shock to have play with. I'm planning on trying a DIY service. Shouldn't be too bad as they look pretty simple inside. Just got to watch it when it 'pops'!

Stuck down shocks can be highly dangerous!

We send ours straight to the approved service agent to get them sorted.

If you do go for the DIY option, be very very careful.

do the bolts up tight i reckon to compress all the hardware etc. to minimise movent if so, should be strong enough though

didnt know they were dangerous as above - but look at the distance that bloke keeps
so as above again, be weary

(but the vid shows it can be done)

I have just serviced my float and its easier than it looks, all you need to do is unscrew the chamber (should only be hand tight) then stick a rag through the eye and pull the chamber with a bit of force, it will come off fast thats why the rag is there, if you need any help just pm me

DSCF9214.jpg

This is the seal you have problems with, its letting air into the negative chamber but not letting it out

DSCF9215.jpg

Back