NOS tyres... Good/bad idea?

Ndeipi

Dirt Disciple
I've found some beauties from a seller in Australia. Michelin Giro d'Italia Axial Pro Light tyres, 700x20c.

Apparently they're 20-25 years old, and have never been used. Not sure how they've been stored.

Is buying these a bad idea? Could they be a bit stiff and likely to crack?

Stock picture of the tyres (not the same pair):
IMG_0051-51.jpg

It will depend a lot on how they were stored. I've had some keep in a pretty constant temperature away from sun light and they are okay, but have had others not so well stored which have cracked and disintergrated around the wire.

Depends on how much they are inc postage, as to whether they are worth a risk

Don't think they're quite that old - more like 15-20 years. Modern tyres are made from synthetic elastomers which don't age-harden like some natural rubbers. The worst things for tyres are sunlight and ozone (e.g. near the coast) - makes them go hard and brittle.

+1 on age. No way are these 25 years old. Coloured tyres came into vogue around 95 when Vittoria launched their All.weather version of the Corsa CX. These Michelins are later than that.

Ive had 70's NOS tyres that have pumped up and been fine. But then ive had early 80's snakebellies, Nos but when pumped up split to hell....
I had a huge batch of them. Sold loads as they were fine, But had others that were useless... and then some that were only fit for my bike and not someone elses...

All depends entirely on the tyre and where and how it was stored. Hit n miss im afraid.

they are probably much younger but if they are 25 years old steer well away. I recall when the first coloured tubs came out (imported by Bill Dormer I believe) sometime in the mid 80s. The first time it rained at eastway, all the coloured ones punctured as the technology for vulcanising the coloured rubber was still in its infancy.

Back