Not-so-retro freerange organic fixie - now finished.

Thanks guys!! It's nice to have a frame that I can legitimately use furniture polish on for cleaning.... as ever, the build proceeds in glacial time, partly because my espresso machine needs replacing but mostly because I'm slack, and besides, it's too cold outside.

It'd be interesting to see how much wood I could squeeze onto this thing, but I run out of ideas after handlebars, bottle cage and mudguards.... meuh.

frinkmakesyouthink":2f0npv02 said:
I was disappointed by the weight, especially considering that some bamboo frames are as light as aluminium, but then again they are very affordable frames.

Strong, light, cheap .... choose any two eh! Yeah, I'd have preferred a lighter frame, but for a first frame made out of wood/bamboo/fancy grass, I'm happy to trade in some weight for a bit of strength.

That said, I was looking at the Zambike frame, which is similar and twice the price and that's a full pound heavier... I wonder what the Calfree frames weigh??

latman":2f0npv02 said:
The alloy "lugs" don't look cannondale to me , they either weld or sand their welds much smoother as well as fatter crimped chainstays and def no gusset under the ht/dt intersection. I believe this type of construction starts with an entire alloy frame and cut out the sections that will be replced with the second type of tube which needs an overlap for bonding purposes.

Nah, I know it's not a Commonfail, interestingly, the blurb says that the alloy parts are indeed recycled frames, but I'm sceptical. How do they maintain the tolerances and what if a previous owner was particularly harsh? I guess the frames are 'seconds' from Taiwan somewhere??

Well, in between writing dissertations and Deal or No Deal, I’ve finally finished one of the frames that have been kicking around my palatial student hovel. This had to be top of the list, as the missus wanted to chop it up for kindling ‘cos we can’t afford to turn the heaters on…. Admittedly, this is mainly because I spent my grant cheque on Campag…

Spec is….

Frame: Organic Dylan bamboo.
Fork: Some nasty white alloy tat that came with the frame
Headset: FSA Orbit
Stem: Thomson X2
Bars: Deda Speciale
Bar tape: Shhhhhhhmano Pro.
Brake levers: Campag Record carbon
Brake: Campag Record – with cork brake blocks
Saddle: SLR
Seatpost: Thomson
Chainset: Campag Pista, 165mm 48t
Bottom bracket: Token Carbon
Sprocket: Velosolo alloy 18t
Chain: Miche Pista
Pedals: Token Track with VP straps
Hubs: Royce track
Spokes: DT Revs
Rims: Cbita wood.
Tubs: Conti Podium

But I guess you want to see some pics and know about the ride….. well, apart from the saddle, which is like sitting on a brick, the ride is…. Odd. The rims are very light - around 300gr - and fitted with skinny tubs, so it accelerates and rolls brilliantly. The wooden rims takes out a lot of the high frequency road buzz compared with alloy or carbon. The frame rides quite dull. It’s got the give of titanium or steel, but it doesn’t ‘snap back’ like the metals do, so it’s quite a comfy ride once it’s rolling, but getting out the saddle doesn’t do the frame any favours!!

IMG_3481.jpg

IMG_3484.jpg

IMG_3485.jpg

IMG_3486.jpg

IMG_3490.jpg

IMG_3492_3.jpg

IMG_3493.jpg

Very interesting! Great to see it built up and thanks for the mini-review too. I wonder what it would ride like on alu rims.

Latest posts

Back