External BB questions

ajm

Senior Retro Guru
I'm seriously considering a Genesis Aether 10 (would love an equilibrium but can't justify twice the price for the steel frame)... there are some good deals around on the 2010 model.

I've only just noticed that it has an external (Truvativ ) bottom bracket, whereas this year's Aether 10 has an ordinary square taper... being instinctively distrustful of modern fads (why else would I be on retrobike :) ) this is kind of putting me off the 2010 model.

1) Am I being silly? (OK, I suspect I know the answer to that already!)

2) Is there any difference in the frame (BB shell size / threading) that would preclude moving to a tried and tested square taper BB/chainset later on?

ajm":3nsjdk6i said:
1) Am I being silly? (OK, I suspect I know the answer to that already!)

2) Is there any difference in the frame (BB shell size / threading) that would preclude moving to a tried and tested square taper BB/chainset later on?

1. Yes

2. Probably not, no.

Thanks, that's what I was after... I'm a big fan of well-proven technology and despite being slightly unsure of cartridge ST BBs when they first became mainstream, I'm a big fan now - so well sealed and long-lasting.

However, there's a very significant price reduction on last year's model and since they're pretty similar otherwise I think I'll let my ancestry show and go for the cheaper option!

Back