I saw the thief who took my DynaTech today.

i service the local poice bikes in my area, i asked the guys about the laws of stolen/recovered bikes, get this, it's shit.

if the bikes is stolen, you claim on your insurance assuming you have some, but if once you've replaced that bike, if the old one is spotted on ebay and then sold into the same area, then seen being serviced in another shop for the person who bought it off the theif then he is now the rightful owner if he "bought it in good faith". so if he bought it knowing it was stolen he can be done for recieving but if he thought it was a bargain cheap from ebay he gets to keep it as the rightful owner even if you spot it and report it to the gaffers! but even if you get it back from him technically the insurance company own it and you have to buy it back from them coz you've been paid out for a replacement!

this is a real story of a bike i know about and my mate was gutted when his orange 5 se went missing!

think the moral is get your mate to nick it back if you get the chance and then "buy" it off him "in good faith"

had a bike nicked from college in '91, muddy fox courier comp, 4 locks, wa**ers.

if karma does work i'd like to think they'd be the devils f*cktoy in hell for eternity! and i'd hope that the devil has a really big willy! and no lube, just handcleaner, the stuff with sand in it.

it all just came back to me when i saw this link . . . all angry again now.

on a slightly less-secure bike theft :oops: , as a student, I was sharing a house with my friend (1995) , and took his old-scabby-bike from the porch [his was resting on my Dynatech so was closer to hand], and was only going to the corner shop [about 500 yards away! but loved cycling anywhere so didn't think anything of the short distance. left bike outside shop - unlocked...

in short:

went to shop,
bought something
left
walked home!

mmm.... bike disappeared
we all assumed it was stolen from porch!
friend claimed on insurance (much nicer model)
THEN I REALISED I HAD LEFT IT!! :roll:
seriously how i blanked that from my mind i;ve no idea.

stick legs my good man iv gotta a lot of boot necks (marines) at yeovil that ow there est chef ever a lot of favors if you want them to do any thing im shore they would accomodate ;) ;) ;)

Goood thread!!!

My story:

1992 marin pine mountain, few months old, my pride and joy bought with savings and help.

STUPIDLY left it outside a record shop as I could see it from the window and was only going in to pick something I'd reserved.

Guy from school (Justin Daniels- I imagine he's doing about as well for himself as the other cases in this thread) grabs it and begins to cycle off.

LUCKILY I'd done something I used to do when I was stupid enogh to leave my bike without a lock: placed the gears on the biggest rings, front and back, then without turning the pedels, shifted down to smallest rings. End result: chain used to come off imediately when pedals were turned.

I caught up with the fool and even with a crowd of people circled around us in the highstreet, he threatened to "break my nose" before having to step off the Marin and try and walk over to his mates like a hardman.

What a prize c*ckhead. Like others who have posted their stories, recounting this still puts me into a poorly supressed RAGE (and I even got my bike back!).

I had two bikes stolen from my parents shed, shed was locked but didn't have the bikes locked together. Saw the dynatech a few months later but by the time we had stopped and gone back it had disappeared. Most galling one though was my brother had left my USA raleigh at the local motorbike shop. Shop went up in flames and the fireman got the bike out as it was near the door, one of only about 4 or 5 bikes saved. I've got the photo of it sitting leaning against the back wall of the building with the fire engine nearby. Somebody then nicked it! :evil:

I do have one story of karma working out though. My brother had a works prototype RM250 motocross bike. Got nicked on the thursday night from our next door neighbours garage. Police came out and said don't think it will turn up. Brother was very insistent it would be back by monday. Monday comes and police phone up to say it has been found about 100 yds away from us. Go and collect with puzzled police officer. Finally asks why we knew it was coming back and brother tells him it is a very difficult bike to ride and likely to throw the rider off.

One final twist to the story. My brother spoke to some friends and asked if they could find out who nicked it. Few days later he was told who it was and that he didn't want to go round to 'discuss' the matter. Guy was in hospital with broken leg, ribs, collarbone and arm! :twisted: :LOL: Bike had looked after itself! :LOL: :cool: :LOL:

Raumer":3c36rbus said:
... Guy was in hospital with broken leg, ribs, collarbone and arm! :twisted: :LOL: Bike had looked after itself! :LOL: :cool: :LOL:

Nice story.
I wish ALL bikes were as able to look after themselves as a vicious RM250 crosser.

Never had a bike stolen [touch wood] ... But that hasn't stopped chav scum stripping some very expensive parts from a few over the years. And kicking in the wheels on another.

Still angry about it.

when i was about 13 i got a universal-wow! for christmas, i was over the moon i had stickers all over it of bits it did not have but i loved it. 5 weeks after christmas someone stole it from our garden. when i got up in the morning i was absolutly gutted, phoned the cozzers and they pretty much called us idiots and laughed at us. a couple of weeks later my dad saw someone on it near our house and gave chase, caught him and took my bike back and brought it home. the next day the lad who nicked it came to my house and apologised and gave me £50 quid!, he had had a kicking two black eyes and a fat lip but i had no sympathy for him. when he had done my dad gripped him by the scruff of the neck and told him "if i see you on this street again its a shallow grave on the moors for you lad" you have got to remember this lad was about 18-19 and very impressionable and he cried! it is one of those things from your childhood you never forget. i hate bike theives and i have not had one nicked since i have a steel shed with 3 squire locks on a ccm 604ds enduro bike chained to the floor inside and a marin bear valley chained to the floor. bike thieves have no chance. ;)

Back