Kona P2 forks and headsets - questions & advice needed..

deelam

Retro Guru
I have just stripped and cleaned my headset - Deore LX unit, not the original impact. The P2s are 1" inside diameter and threaded at the top.

I want to try some suspension, should I be looking for 1" threaded steerers with enough length to retro-fit or do I have any other options?
Is the diameter measured internally, or externally? If externally, these are getting very close to 1"1/8.
Also, any recommendations? I always fancied some old manitous, are the elastomers still available?

All advice, as always very much appreciated - Thanks! :D

Regarding headset size, it is probably easiest to ask what bike is it and what year (and colour if you are not sure!). Most Konas after, say, 1992 were 1 1/8th.

The easiest sus upgrade would be to find some threaded forks (again, probably 1 1/8th but best check!), that way you can resuse your headset and stem.

Otherwise you could go for Ahead (unthreaded) where there is more choice and availability :D but you will have to get an Aheadset and Ahead stem, so more expense... :(

Thanks, It is a (suspect) 93 Kilauea. The P2 forks, as I say, are 1" diameter, measured on the inside. Still using the original Velocity quill stem also.

Adam, The forks are def' 1" steerer, threading into a 1" headset. If I got a 1 1/8 fork could I simply fit a 1 1/8 headset?

As for the year - I scratched back some paint and it appears to be a fade job underneath, with the XT / DX components I reckon it's a '93.

No, the headset (and fork steerer tube) are determined by the frame. If your bike is 1" it will only take a one inch headset. Soz.

Hi,I think threaded fork steerer dimensions are as follows...

1" = 22.2 mm (internal) 25.4 mm (external)
1 1/8" = 25.4 mm (internal) 28.6 mm (external)
1 1/4" = 28.6 mm (internal) 31.8 mm (external)

Hope this helps.

Back