Dura Ace on an MTB

MTB front levers will not pull the right amount of cable for a Shimano road front mech. It might just about work with a double setup, but a triple - forget it.

There is a set of road flat bar shift levers you could use instead though.

Ran a shimano 105 rear mech with a 12-32 SRAM cassette without bother although on only one front chainring. Cannot tell what a compact double would have done but a friend states that back in the day he raced with road rear deraliers on his XC/DH bike without bother.

GTRTS&AVALANCHE":1q0gxxpp said:
Call me a sceptic, but is there any real benefit to road stuff on an MTB?? :?

Well, I'm thinking of going even further than Dura Ace - you can't get square taper XT bbs any longer, so I'm thinking about *Campag*! (with English thread, natch) Of course, I wouldn't let on to anyone, for fear of the social stigma.

I guess the issue would be whether a roadie axle is strong enough, but I only weigh ten stone and I'm not exactly an aggressive rider, so I'm hoping it'd be ok.

Anthony":28eqk6af said:
GTRTS&AVALANCHE":28eqk6af said:
can't get square taper XT bbs any longer, so I'm thinking about *Campag*!

I guess the issue would be whether a roadie axle is strong enough.

Road axles are subject to more welly than MTB ones as there is less freewheeling involved.

You do need to be aware of other issues though -
chainring clearance, chainline, non compatibility of front mechs with the ratios you might want,

GTRTS&AVALANCHE":1wd31a6m said:

no - but if you run drops offroad and want STi then dura-ace is best matched with the same mech!

If you are talking about 8 speed ST7400 of course....

9 and 10 speed will index fine with MTB rear mechs.

Anthony":3icyfkwz said:
I guess the issue would be whether a roadie axle is strong enough, but I only weigh ten stone and I'm not exactly an aggressive rider, so I'm hoping it'd be ok.

There probably wouldn't be an issue with strength but there would be an issue with the taper as Japanese bottom brackets have a larger taper. Basically a campag chainset would not push far enough onto a shimano bottom bracket and a shimano chainset would push too far (and probably not tight enough) onto a Campag one.

Latest posts

Back