canti's on a V brake frame

Forsh

Dirt Disciple
I've started my new project.
Its was described as early '90s Marin Hawk Hill frame but i think they only came out in '95 and this one has no braket on the rear for cantilever brakes.
the plan was to build it as a city bike using my 300EX road groupset with my '94 LX canti's and LX lever/shifters
i know the marin stems had a wheel under for the canti's but its got sus forks with Ahead so can't do that.
So can i fit canti's or do i need V's?

:)

For the rear you can get hangers that either mount to the seatstay bridge or attach to the seatpost binder bolt or clamp onto the seatpost. Front for suspension requires bodging, attach a post type hanger that would attach to the rear seatstays via a bolt that may fit a threaded hole to the rear of or right through the fork bracing arch. Alternatively attach a post type hanger to the top of a brake booster (horseshoe shaped brace) that fits to the canti bosses. Other than that a front V-brake is your best option.

Older Marzocchi forks have a cantilever booster system whereby the cable and outer attach to a lever arrangement mounted on the fork bracing arch. Old school and a bit more power than a normal canti but less so than a V-brake, Tektro used to make an aftermarket kit for this system but it still requires a mounting point on the suspension bracing arch.

Hope this is helpful but I'd recommend going for some retro V-brakes if you can source them such as some XT or XTR.

Cheers

cheers guys, V's are the easy way out but I'd really like to use the LX kit off my '94 Eldridge Grade - I'll call in my local bike shop for local people tomorrow
:)

Back