Hello!!!!

You should be able to build something pretty good with £300. I built a similar sort of thing a few years ago for less than that, although I did get the frame out of a skip.

I've moved this over to the road forum.

That rivendell mixte is cool!

Anyhow for £300 you should be able to score something nice built of some reasonable tubing, know there are some about.

Keep us posted!

Are you looking to buy from the guy on Ebay offering custom builds for less than £300? His stuff looks alright although I don't think the frames are anything to write home about, just old Hi-Ten steel powder coated but a reasonable deal none the less.

Hey yes, I was considering going to that guy. I like his other work he's done. I don't 'know' about frames, appart from I want the mixte split frame style...I don't know about quality. I'm presuming he'd use an old bike...I just want it to look nice with good components.

I'll let you know what happens anyway...and what I end up doing etc.

Thanks for your help people x

Drencrom":2ms2gznu said:
A mixte:

mixte-supercourse.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Step-through_frame

Dawes and Raleigh both did decent mixte tourer frames in Reynolds 531 tubing, so such a project needn't break the bank with a bit of scouring of eBay and small ads. Should be able to get it re-finished in powder coat to the colour of your choosing for a handy price too.

Lauren - I'm assuming from the username you're in West Yorks.? If you only want a 5-speed transmission, might be worth visiting Spa Cycles in Harrogate to see if they have any cheap(ish) and cheerful kit - they do keep a few odds & ends of old stock that's not even on their website - to help get you on the road.

David

Depending on where you are in Leeds, I would be looking at more gears to save a little effort on the hills!

As mentioned a 531 framed Raliegh or Dawes would make an excellent backbone if you were to build your own. They can also be had cheaply if you get lucky. The bonus of building your own is customisation, your bike how you want it, not some one else's interpretation or a compromise.

Choose your frame, choose your colour, choose your build kit...even choose your own graphics, it really depends on your imagination and how far you want to take it. That said it will take time and you will have to learn things along the way...but that isn't always a bad thing.

David B":2pzoon1y said:
Lauren - I'm assuming from the username you're in West Yorks.? If you only want a 5-speed transmission, might be worth visiting Spa Cycles in Harrogate to see if they have any cheap(ish) and cheerful kit - they do keep a few odds & ends of old stock that's not even on their website - to help get you on the road.

Another option might be Re-Cycle in Hyde Park. I'm not a huge fan your man that's in charge there but they have tons of old stuff and will probably be able to pull a few mixtes out.

I wouldn't go with the eBay fella personally.

Mixte.

I have a Claud Butler mixte frame and fork (+ some ancillaries), quality build 531 at a good price.

Bought for my wife but she's lost interest.

Have pm'd you (with the low price), and I'm in N.London tomorrow is that's any help.

Thanks, Roadking.

If you'd like a pic, a pm with email with do the trick!

Latest posts

Back