Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:51 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:47 pm 
Retro Guru

I’ve been threatening this since joining RetroBike so here goes for my first proper build, including re-spray and parts collection. I delivered the frame and F7 forks to Bob Jackson’s of L**ds yesterday for the royal treatment it deserves, so it’s all systems go and no turning back now. The forks are unlikely to be used although I thought best to get them sprayed and keep them with the frame if ever I come to sell.

There has been some debate about the dating of this frame on another thread. I’m sticking with a June ’96 production for purchase in ’97. I confirm that the frame does have the nickel plate finish beneath the more recent orange re-spray. This was an ebay purchase so I’m not sure of its full history.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=

The re-spray colour chosen is not from the citrus family, but from another fruit group? I’m hoping that the colour chosen will complement the selected components so fingers crossed. The decal graphic designs have been selected from the ‘93 to ’95 Orange era because I like them (thanks gil_m).

With regards to steering and components I’ll be sticking with the best of British where possible including an RC 45 Pace stem, RC36 Evo 3 forks (freshly serviced - thanks justbackdated), Middleburn RS3’s and X-lite or USE seat post. Pics of the components will be posted soon.

Groupset will be Shimano M737 / M739 mix running V brakes. Wheels will be the dependable Mavic 717xc with Shimano M760 hubs.

Whilst most parts have been sourced, I do need some help finding or suggesting a suitable 1” aheadset or no-threadset in silver. The best I have in store at the moment is a black Cane Creek S2, but want to keep with the British theme. I’ve been trying to source a 1” Hope’ but no luck so any help in finding something suitable would be appreciated. Finally, I want to go with white outer cables so any recommendations and a steer in the right direction would be appreciated.

Some pics of the existing frame to get us started.

Last edited by Mossy on Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:48 pm 
Retro Guru

Photos of the finished build for the moment as one or two tweaks are required :D The exposure doesn't do the bike justice :oops: .

Last edited by Mossy on Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:12 pm 
Dirt Disciple

good luck with the build, i keep threatening to do one as a way to teach myself a bit about bikes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:04 pm 
Retro Guru

Well it's been a few weeks since I left the frame with Bob Jackson's of Leeds, but here she is with new livery - looks great in the flesh!

What do you think?

Hoping to go with the 2000 Pace RC36's. These would look better with new decals hopefully colour coded with the frame. will be PMing GilM later as he did the Orange decals.

Still missing some bits for the build including a silver x-lite seat clamp and a suitable ahead type good quality 1" headset also in silver.

Some pictures of the bits I do have.

Can't make my mind up about which seatpost to use. I do like the USE, but some of the trick bits are X-lite.

Looking to get the wheels built this week.

It won't be built for another three weeks :( due to my pending marriage :D , but will be ready for late Spring 8)

Regards, Mossy.

Last edited by Mossy on Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:18 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

That's coming along very well and love the colour 8)

Oh, and.... L**ds, L**ds, L**ds! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:20 pm 
Retro Guru

Thats a nice plum colour you've chosen. I think the black & silver will work equally well with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:23 pm 
Retro Guru

brocklanders023 wrote:
That's coming along very well and love the colour 8)

Oh, and.... L**ds, L**ds, L**ds! :D

We're all WEDNESDAY . . . . aren't we? :wink:

enough! back to the bikes...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:54 pm 
Retro Guru

p7 with middleburn cranks.....classic combo, not that I am biased or anything ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:30 pm 
Retro Guru

p.s. I'd go for silver chainring bolts ! This is going to look the nuts. That pace stem is lovely. If you stick the pace forks on, what are you going to do with the f7s ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:33 pm 
Retro Guru

Hopefully the pace combo up front will do the business, but I may need a little more reach and I hope the 70 - 90mm travel will be ok with the frame? It feels right but then again I’m no expert when it comes to setting the geometry right.

Unfortunately for you my friend :D the F7 forks are staying with the frame. If I come across any I will give you a nod.

Regards.