Retrobike National Series Event - Cannock Aftermath

Just spent 45 happy minutes in heavy rain, cleaning off the grit and sand of yesterday but, taking on such a mundane chore has allowed by thoughts to coalesce as follows:

- realising that I was, at least nominally, leading the ride I turned up at 7.30 a.m. to an empty car park. When I returned at 9 a.m. the car park was filling rapidly and bits of old steel, and they were mostly old steel, were being unloaded.

- a splendid mix of familiar and new faces.

- attempting to herd 40 + Retrobikers, many of whom were wearing loose fluro lycra, baggy not because the rider was slimmer but because, over the years, it had lost it's elasticity.

- taking the ' by any means necessary' racing line down a hillside to be met by jeers of derision.

- being let down by my uncanny, almost compass like sense of direction but not being fazed by the apparent contradiction of leading a ride from the back and getting 'lost' at a popular and clearly waymarked trail centre.

- with Marc sensibly acting as chaperone, the 'special time' I enjoyed with Paul. No matter what happens in the future big fella, we'll always have the Monkey Trail.

- the heady post ride combination of cheese, rocket and caramelised red onion tartlets and top quality foaming ale.

- the even headier flea market, with boxes of assorted tat being produced with bewildering frequency. Old ladies at a rummage sale had nothing on us and I'm ashamed to say that I threw a few elbows.

- the discovery that Shimano predicted the 29er craze at least a decade early with the uber rare 400CX gruppo.

- the look on Paul's face when he purchased an STX-RC chainset for a princely sum (rather reminded me of his expression earlier on the ride when I said "don't worry, I've got your back").

- the post-ride chatter that lasted as long as the ride itself.

So, many thanks to all for coming and look forward to meeting up again at HoNC (mid April) and at the next National Meet in the Forest of Dean in mid May (bugger, I think I'm organising, in the loosest sense of the word, that one too) - watch out for the ride thread a little nearer the time.

Don't go chasing waterfalls

Ed

Great effort with the photos Jon although obviously any points garnered as a result are negated (and more) by your schoolboy front brake set up - ex LBS worker and Orange afficianado? A bloody disgrace, you should be required to hand in your RC30s.

As usual, a Grand Retrobike Day Out. Throughly enjoyed it. Could have done with a bit less mud (not used to it these days now I'm more of a roadie :roll: ) but everything else was excellent (the BEER! super :D ) - and in particular - THE COMPANY OF OTHER RB'ERS. Made an old man very happy, especially the ones who purchased some of my surplus stock so that I and Mrs Ned will be able to eat for another week.

Super photos been posted, thanks to those who've done them and thanks to Stuart for driving me there and back - and great thanks to the organisers.

Clothes have gone in the wash, goodness knows what they'll be like when they come out. Glad I wore boots and used flatties, SPD's must have been getting a bit clogged up. It was very useful to be able to bail out quickly especially when being attacked by magnetic trees.

Bike is still in the shed waiting for the mud to congeal. I'm feeling a bit wan today and keep falling asleep but I'll try and tackle it tomorrow with the hose etc.

Hopefully try and get to another meet later in the year.

ededwards":334sa7t6 said:
Great effort with the photos Jon although obviously any points garnered as a result are negated (and more) by your schoolboy front brake set up - ex LBS worker and Orange afficianado? A bloody disgrace, you should be required to hand in your RC30s.

unfortunately the bike went through a couple of rebuilds/re specs over the last 6 months but hasn't actually been ridden much (i tend to use the vit t or p7 more) i had replaced the brakes with cleaner more polished canti's with new xt pads and then had also replaced the wheels with mavic 231's, they felt great on the work stand but i hadn't road tested them!

school boy error for which i can only apologise! :oops: :oops:

having looked at it, it's mainly the non drive side front pad, it's angled perfectly flat on the rim and with almost 20 years of wear in the canti it is then exxagerated with "play" causing the most horrendous sound ever!

i seem to remember my mate adam on the ride likening it to the noise of "a cow raping a sheep!" but where he has heard this before for a comparison i don't know!!! :LOL:

First time up to Cannock, so thanks to the organisers for a great day.
Just finished cleaning the bike, the only job left is to re-tension the Tioga as it went way out of true towards the end of the ride.
Big surprise, but a great pleasure to be awarded bike of the ride. I've owned the Eddy since new and it has been through several spec's but has now been returned to true, mid 90's luvliness with many of the original parts reinstalled.
A special thanks to Andy B for the stunning photo of me..........The wife thought it was hilarious and none to tactfully pointed out where "all of the pies" had gone!!!!!!!!
Unfortunately can't make FoD, but will definately be out for some of the other rides. In the meantime, if anyone wants a ride out in the Surrey Hills which Paul Burwell of MBR rates as some of the best riding in the UK, just drop me a line as myself and Uncle Monty are out most weekends.

No prob for the pic, sorry I couldn't find you after the ride for the coffee IOU

If you want a full size copy I'll email it to you, same goes for anyone else who would like a full size copy of any of my pics.

sinnett177":1p2gfpt0 said:
Did Boy'o'boy make it back ok on his bodged fixie? Missed him at the end of the ride.

The EA massive found our way back safely. The bodge didn't last very long though.

Roll of honour, please speak up if you aren't there and i'll add:

John
EdEdwards
sinnett177
Pfennig
RekiBorter
RC200ti
Uncle Monty
GRD
Christy
Iwasgoodonce
weeman_mtb
Spencer13
StewLewis
LGF
AndyBag
Letmetalktomark
CAS
Kev Duckworth
SLM Racing
Old Ned
DSP
Mr Lee
Velocitizen
NakedGav
HarryCrumb
Andy123 (+1)
Team Lard (+1)
Jon Broom (?)
Xen Master
MarcTwoTone
DEL
Charlieboy
Heathy (aka sinnet177 :roll: )
Pure 7 - 89
JB666
Makster
Old Kit
Wizaed of Oz
ElPedro666 (+1)
Andy B
Boy'o'boy

Total: 44

All the above has come from the sign on sheets which came back in bag also conatining a used pint glass. The smell is just beautiful, really fancy a pint now.

Back