Pace Trials RC100

JeRkY

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I have recently taken hold of a new Pace RC100, however this one is different to my other 3 100's it is a very VERY early assumed to be one off RC100 Trials specific bike.Purchased through this fantastic site.

The RC T 100 features numerous stand out features when compared to your typical RC100.

Interesting features:
24" wheels
Factory pearlescent yellow paint.
Early tube profiles (the milled recesses on the square tubing are not as clean as later production RC100 models.)
Single speed only, no derailleur hanger.Different geometry to the RC100 XC bike.
Early (pre pace ahead) stem.(modified and cut down)
Triple clamp rigid forks featuring RC30 drop outs. If any one recognises the crowns I'd be interested in hearing, may well be one offs for pace though.
Renthal motor cycle handle bars (cut down)
Very early Magura levers.
Grease nipple on BB accessible from top of BB

Personally suspect this bike to predate 1989.

P9240475.jpg

P9240477.jpg

Custom looking welded free wheel unit
P9240478.jpg

Asymetric rear stays as per RC100
P9240479.jpg

Bullseye cranks with custom 1 speed spider
P9240480.jpg

P9240481.jpg

Bash guard, mounts via a threaded inert to the down tube and then clamps to the chain stays. Incidentally theres no serial number under it.
P9240487.jpg

The custom stem
P9240483.jpg

The less than tidy tube milling.
P9240484.jpg

P9240488.jpg

VERY early maguras
P9240490.jpg

Tripple clamp and cut down renthals
P9240493.jpg

The fork crowns
P9240494.jpg

Complete with neat hose routing
P9240495.jpg

RC30 GEN 1 style drop outs
P9240496.jpg

Bullseye hubs on 24" wheels
P9240497.jpg

P9240499.jpg

All in all a very unusual pace.

ive certainly never seen one before...it smacks of prototype and must be very rare.....lovely!...

The forks certainly have the prototype feel about them, as does the stem.

As for the frame, other than this one I have never been aware of another. I suspect it makes my RC500 F1 look as common as a GT Zaskar!

You have a fantastic piece of pace and british MTB history there fella .. what a wonderful addition to your collection... this could not have gone to a better person.. well pleased for you...

To trace its history and origin , ... Gil , knows adrian carter ,, so maybe worth asking to see if we can get the lo down from adrian himself.. love to know..

Those welds on the stem look well tidy,, and love the routing for the cable through the forks.. , singlespeed bullseye cranks,, renthal bars.. 24" rm20's WOW..!!! :p lucky git... :LOL:

Really nice to finally see some close up pictures of this, I have followed it through its last three sales and every time managed to resist it ;)

To be totally honest you would be best talking to Duncan Macdonald, rather than Adrian, I know Duncan and have had some very long and interesting chats with him.

Basically he was the designer and ex-business partner of Adrian, Duncan is a great character and showed me a shed full of one-off early RC100 parts, being an engineer he was constantly developing and also did a lot of the early welding, I would imagine he built the bike and will be able to fill in the blank spots.

He now designs and builds parts for Pre-1965 Triumph Tiger Cub Trials bikes ~ http://www.armac-design.com/Armac_Design/Welcome.html

Drop him an email and have your eyes opened :)

V. :cool:

Another great pace for the collection Jerky. Any idea who it was made for originally? ... Got some old mbuk's with a similar trials specific yeti in too. Looked great but this is way better.

O/T my RC100S is about to be fully stripped for resto. I'm going to GOM scan the frame/bullseyes/stem for record. You want Stl's when I'm done? - still owe you a scan of those M730's btw. :oops:

Cheers,
boy"O"boy

Wow.. Another amazing Pace you have turned up with Jerky

I would love to hear the full story of this bike as it looks to be a prototype..

Its amazing that these bikes are still being sold

P.S. Rode many a tiger cub as my old man is a pre 65 rider & a very succsessfull one at that...

Now riding Ossa's but thats another "rare bike story"

Good luck in getting more info

Nice photos and bike Jerky...well done mate and hope Duncan gets in touch with you :)

Rich

Back