bigfoot smokestone age? cheers mr bigfoot

mrlee

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Hi i can't seem to find any info on the age of my frame ?
i bought the frame about 5 years ago without any info on the bike. the duke has one from about 95 but mine is different it has straight mount dropouts rather than round and scolops for a bottle cage, my frame no states ss0064 , cheers
Lee

Attachments

• Photo117.jpg
    Photo117.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 1,654
Great anther e-stay owner with Magura :cool: Sorry can't help on the age :oops:

Hey Mr Lee, bike looks :cool:

I have spoken with Graham FOOT about this and he told me that the company started off as Bigfoot and had 2 generations of e-stay (both similar looking) of which mine is a 2nd gen.

He said that after some dispute he split from the company and they changed to Smokestone bikes. They then changed again to Ozone at the end and produced the e-stay and "normal" frames.

Other than that I cant really help with dates :?

Was yours originally branded smokestone like that?

My frame number is something like 1021 (off the top of my head but similar), just a number.

Hi Luke
as far as im aware they look and feel original and there was no evidence of any others cheers

I have seen one other with the same drop outs as yours (are they aluminium plates or something? mine are quite chunky maybe cnc affairs)

But I have never seen one without canti-stops integrated into the frame. Yours seems to be part of the seat collar?

I have also never seen one with the rear derailler cable passing on the underside of the seat stay like that. Mine passes along the top.

Perhaps yours is an early mk1??? who knows :?

year

its been quite hard to remember dates, i, Lukes is the last of the malvern made Bigfoot's, this is the reborn version when i moved to Eastbourn, we had to change the name to Smokestone from Bigfoot, its around 94.
and for those wondering where Smokstone came from, it was the "handle" CB radio; of my best freind who died just before we made our first frame. he died on his bike riding to work, told his wife i would honour his name and here it is. .... blimey, its an emotional day.
the story of my exploits trying to design and biuld frames in the uk is a bit of a nightmare, talk about out of the frying pan...... trouble was, i was'nt a business man, just a guy with ideas. ha ha, got s### from a great height more than once. grat to see the bikes on here though.
i must say though, everyone involved, no matter who you are, needs a pat on the back, wehter we fell out or not, you know who you are. thanks

gotta love this site
you post a pic of some old (but v nice) bike and ask questions about it
and the bloke that made them pops up and fills in the gaps
how cool is that

mr foot any more info on your bikes ?

ha ha, I'll have to sort some proper info, my memories not to clear on exact dates years, was a very busy time but i'll see what i can sort.
i've loads of pix and so on, original drawings, all kinds. thanks for the interest.
not sure if my other two partners get on here, they made it happen even if we did fall out, they becake Ozone on their own for a while but without me.... should'nt say that really, we needed each other, we were a good team for a while, great guys. here's a pic

Attachments

• bf mtb limited malverns.jpg
    bf mtb limited malverns.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 1,512
Back