Another time trialer killed, has justice prevailed?

Aren't you supposed to express an opinion first??

She must have been driving dangerously (as in the definition of dangerous driving), so a guilty verdict is pretty sensible.

As to the sentence, that comes down to your personal opinions on what you should do with people who screw up very badly.

Do you lock people up for the protection of the public, or as a method of punishment?

After the guy who slid across a road with bald tyres and killed 3 cyclists at Abergele, was fined £350, I tend to think that a severe sentence is necessary.

There is a minority who still don't seem to understand the severe level of damage that they can inflict with a car, and generally I find driving of worse standards these days than in the past. Tailgating, no signalling and undertaking seem the norm.

'Hmmm...' was my opinion.

I see loads of bad driving from 'girls in Ka's' - going through red lights, pulling out in front of other vehicles, 40 in 30 etc, the two seem to go hand in hand.

Knowing the time trial route and the road conditions, the cyclists are well lit and brightly coloured and they are deliberately held at a time of day when the roads are quiet. Yet, we are still flashed by cars trying to overtake us when we are doing the 50 or 60 limit and in turn overtaking a time trialer.

I have not cycled home from work as I read this and I'm going to be even more paranoid as a result.

Punishment for dangerous road behaviour needs to be a real deterrent.
Five years for killing someone may not be enough for some but its way better than a pathetic fine and a temporary driving ban.

Personally I'd take the guilty persons licence away permanently for anything as bad as that plus a custodial sentence. A driving licence is not a human right, a humans life is !

Scares the crap out of me. You'd kind of want a lead-filled frame pump for dealing with that one.

Another strong reason for one of those helmet cams... :shock:

I know the stretch of road where this incident happened well. During the summer months there are frequent TT's at weekends. The riders are putting themselves in great danger doing races on this road IMO. Yes they have signs up at the junctions saying cycle event and anyone local will immediatly know to overtake the riders in the outside lane. Remember this is a dual carraigeway with a 70mph limit. I have personaly experienced being undertaken at a roundabout by a competitor and often the only bit of hi-viz the riders have is the number on there back. Not sure if it says in the above article but have read elsewhere the rider that was killed was wearing his army CC strip, looks mostly black to me.

Not defending the girl in the slightest but I am sure the situation could be helped if all rider were more visible. If it saves only one life it is worth it.

His family have my sympathy.

I write as a TT rider myself, look at the pic of him in the paper, he's looking at his front wheel spindle rather than at the road ahead of him. This is something that get my goat, I see it too frequently. Yes it is easier and more comfortable to ride like that and look up every so often but you're not going to see the obstacle/idiot driver looking there!

Back