So did any one listen on Christmas day?

Whether it was boring or not is inconsequential, it's bludgeoning your opinion on others that is the problem, he was right to be sacked.

We are in the age of idiots :roll:

If you can't escape from the "bludgeoning", that's one thing but can't you just change the station if you don't like what you're hearing? There's a group here in the US called the Parents Television Council that seek to control everything that's aired on network TV. Mind you, they're a group that's 1 million strong vs. the 350 million total US population, but they flood the email inboxes of their congressmen everytime they hear a "god damn" on TV. Even words like "piss" and "dick" are bleeped out from movies and such because of their efforts. Personally, I don't like the idea of 1 million people dictating what the vast majority get to see, especially when this country was founded on the idea of "majority rules". The problem is that this 1 million takes action while the vast majority sit back and let them do it. Again, if TV is so bad for your kids, then stop letting your kids watch it so much by using the TV as an electronic babysitter. ;) Rant over.

SF Klein":12raj98x said:
If you can't escape from the "bludgeoning", that's one thing but can't you just change the station if you don't like what you're hearing? There's a group here in the US called the Parents Television Council that seek to control everything that's aired on network TV. Mind you, they're a group that's 1 million strong vs. the 350 million total US population, but they flood the email inboxes of their congressmen everytime they hear a "god damn" on TV. Even words like "piss" and "dick" are bleeped out from movies and such because of their efforts. Personally, I don't like the idea of 1 million people dictating what the vast majority get to see, especially when this country was founded on the idea of "majority rules". The problem is that this 1 million takes action while the vast majority sit back and let them do it. Again, if TV is so bad for your kids, then stop letting your kids watch it so much by using the TV as an electronic babysitter. ;) Rant over.

I'm just glad we don' have that problem over here, your TV / Radio is quite heavily censored, I suppose the Janet Jackson incident is an extension of that, haven't people got anything better to do!
Mind you, 1million people is quite a lot, less than 1% yes I know. But, whenever official surveys are taken in the UK about one thing or another they always survey 1000 people across the demographic, and that is supposed to give and accurate measure of the populations opinion. 1000 people from 60 million is much much less than 1%. So for 1million people to be active in the US, there must be many more who agree but can't be bothered doing anything. Equally there will be many who don't agree ut don't do anything.

Agree we had Mary Whitehouse SFKlein

But the DJ was a knob to think he would get away with it. :roll:

Easy_Rider":2ppuvcqg said:
I'm just glad we don' have that problem over here, your TV / Radio is quite heavily censored, I suppose the Janet Jackson incident is an extension of that, haven't people got anything better to do!
Mind you, 1million people is quite a lot, less than 1% yes I know. But, whenever official surveys are taken in the UK about one thing or another they always survey 1000 people across the demographic, and that is supposed to give and accurate measure of the populations opinion. 1000 people from 60 million is much much less than 1%. So for 1million people to be active in the US, there must be many more who agree but can't be bothered doing anything. Equally there will be many who don't agree ut don't do anything.

It's certainly logical to think that this 1 million is a representative sample but it's not. I was curious so I joined the group just to get on their email list and it goes something like this....out of the 1 million, there are probably 500 to 2,000 members who are the most active. They see something on TV that they don't like and they create a form letter and then email that out to the 1 million people. The 1 million people then simply hit "forward" and send it to their congressman. The Janet Jackson boob was probably a catalyst of some sort but this group has been active long before that. It's ridiculous though, to think that it's taboo for our kids to see a boob when many kids have been nursed from a boob or see their brother/sister being nursed, but it's totally fine for kids to see any number of shootings & beatings in a variety of primetime TV shows (NCIS, 24, Cops, CSI, Southland, etc. etc.) Do I detect a bit of hypocrisy here amongst the network programmers & the Parents Television Council members? ;)

SF Klein":1ghlwomr said:
Easy_Rider":1ghlwomr said:

It's certainly logical to think that this 1 million is a representative sample but it's not. I was curious so I joined the group just to get on their email list and it goes something like this....out of the 1 million, there are probably 500 to 2,000 members who are the most active. They see something on TV that they don't like and they create a form letter and then email that out to the 1 million people. The 1 million people then simply hit "forward" and send it to their congressman. The Janet Jackson boob was probably a catalyst of some sort but this group has been active long before that. It's ridiculous though, to think that it's taboo for our kids to see a boob when many kids have been nursed from a boob or see their brother/sister being nursed, but it's totally fine for kids to see any number of shootings & beatings in a variety of primetime TV shows (NCIS, 24, Cops, CSI, Southland, etc. etc.) Do I detect a bit of hypocrisy here amongst the network programmers & the Parents Television Council members? ;)

That does make sense, so the power of technology has taken this to a new level where before with letters it wouldn't have escalated so far.

Mentally scared because they saw Janet's boob, more like they saw dollar signs :roll:

Talk of bludgeoning your opinion on others...

I think the government and the monarchy are far more guilty of this crime than any other.

Back