Shimano disc brakes

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
So whats the deal with high end shimano disc brakes?
They dont seem to be selling very well,if you look on ebay,they go for buttons,i just watched an XT version complete with lever shifter combo sell for £16 :shock:
On CRC even the XTR system is reduced from £200 odd to 70 quid
Seems they are giving them away :?
Is it this mineral oil substitute to dot fluid that has bad performance or are they undersung heros that are well worth picking up while the price is so low

Has anybody here used either the XT or XTR versions :?

I used the the 1st generation XT twin pot design - it turned out to be a rebadged Grimeca. They worked fine but like you say, has the resale value of cheese chocolate.

I use full XTR and they are mega consistant. The deore stuff is a little pup and fades quite bad but never had any issues with mine. Prefer to the Hopes, Avids and Hayes i've had in the past!

I think you'll find it's the shifter/brake combo thing that drops the price. Not many people could get on with them!

I have the LX version and have not intention to step up to xt etc because all you gain (or lose!!) is some weight loss.

Shifter combo things!!! Rubbish hence the price! I bought some for next to nowt. Kept the calipers and hoses then flogged the shifter/lever thing! A very cheap way in my experience to get some very good brakes! Add levers and go :D

I run M970 discs on both my Singlespeed and Scott Spark and TBH they do my head in,they pump up like crazy in the cold thanks to the Mineral oil and the pads are forever going out of centre plus the front rotor is so light it resonates under heavy braking(it squeels :twisted: )the actual braking performance isn't bad though and pads seem to last a long time,despite all the rubbing!

I'm running the XTR ones. The only thing that annoys me is that the bite point adjustment has been omitted (it's there on the XT).

Apart from that, they're mint

H

I've got XT dual control on my RM. I don't notice them or maintain them apart from pad changes, so they most work ok. I run them with non shimano pads(fibrax I think) and Hope discs which made them even better. Plus the whole kit only cost £70 ;)

Interesting - you don't get a pump up effect with Magura rim brakes and they run mineral oil. Must be some design defect in the brakes or levers.

Latest posts

Back