Energy and trail survival, drinks and Food ???

reanimation

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
On the RB rides, there's been a few things that have held me back, one of which seems to be trying to get the food and drink right.

I seem to dehydrate really easy, tired and get seriously ill like hungover. My hangovers suck too! :oops: :LOL:

I'd like to know what you knowledgeable riders do. :?: :idea: :)

:?: :?:

Asking around and reading up I have developed a few tactics to keep up with the superheroes.

- A good carby meal the night before, like a (veggie) Spaghetti Bolloknaze
For the ride
- Natural trail mix: nuts, raisins, dried banana, almonds
- Banana or 2
- Water in the camelback - plain old water!?
- Bottle or 2 of Gatorade
- maybe a snickers
- some kind of dinner break

It worked for a 30 miler epic day out but then fell to bits second time but then the bike, and lack of sleep gave me challenges too so not a fair test!

I was reading in Singletrack Mag all about hydration, they make it sound like water should have an additive with electrolytes n stuff, meaning my plain H2o isn't enough if I'm understanding that right. :-/

So I'm pretty confused what to eat drink when riding/training now!! :? :?:

your tricks of the trade will be very useful for many of us, and I thank ya for ya help.

Cheers

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... upplements

Just eat a balanced meal night before.I use PSP22 by Sience in sport to drink unless its really hot in which case I use GO!!! electrolyte,but you really need to try a few to see what works for you.If I'm using PSP22 I can usually go for 4hrs without food and even then will only have a gel or enery bar,I also find this depends on the pace of the ride,if its fast,like our Sunday club runs,then I eat nothing but Gels as its really fast and I don't get hungry,if however its a Retro ride with lots of stops and chatting then I find I get hungry so its nice to have an energy bar to nibble on,or your natural trail mix would be ideal.
Until you've figured it out its best to take more food and drink with you than you think you need.
Oh and Gatorade is pants :D

i feel a general long term diet including regular hydration aimed at sport is best,as opposed to eating for a ride a day before it.....carbo loading seems generally out of favour these days but has never done me any harm....i also really feel the effects of alcohol now i am just past 23 so try to avoid that four or five days before a long ride.....porridge on the morning of the ride (as much as possible up to that point i think of wretching) and malt loaf in my camelback (pocket,not bladder) has always done the bizzo.....psp or lucozade sport to drink.i swim two or three times per week and can really feel it when i swim on water as opposed to lucozade,it makes a huge difference to have an electrolyte balanced drink......

feetabix":21m52clk said:
and malt loaf in my camelback (pocket,not bladder) has always done the bizzo.....

:LOL: :LOL:

Thanks for the info, I'm starting to see the holes in this years events now.

So;
Eat well , don't drink much (booze) specially before (or during hic!), training, rest, good breakfast and decent drink with electrolytes, and odd scooby snacks for those RB breaks. Sorted well I'm doing most of that. Apart from rest and drinks.

So people are carrying pre mixed electrolyte drinks in their Camelbaks?

EDIT, just found the PSP, they sell it everywhere. ;) Answered my own question I reckon. cheers

I vary what I drink depending on how seriously I'm taking it. For a normal ride I'll just use water, maybe with a splash of OJ to add a touch of flavour and sugar, cos its cheap and I'm not fussed about performance. If its hot or I'm out all day I may use an electrolyte tablet, Nunns are good as you can carry the pack with you and add a new tab if you refill with water on route.

If I'm racing, depending on the duration I'll get out the carb drinks, I use High5 for enduro races where i need to make sure I'm getting enough food in, for shorted XC blats I'll just use the isotonic stiff again. (i'm just trying the drinks mix with added caffeine which do give a kick but I wouldn't want to be out on them all day).

Normally try to knock back a bottle of water before a bigger ride to start the day hydrated.

As for trail snacks, malt loaf is great for long rides, whilst I do use some energy bars for snacks, I find that Kelloggs cereal bars, Geo bars and similar have almost as much energy for a lot less money. Mars bars are good for a pick up but are very sugary which is good for a quick hit of energy, but not good when you want a longer burn. Gels for racing / emergencies only.

Summer - water mixed 50/50 with still orange lucozade. Plus whatever water I can take on from streams along the way.

Winter - flask of hot sweet tea and Kirriemuir Gingerbread :p

I ride around 60-100 miles on road. For that kind of distance I need a solid breakfast, typically porridge with brown sugar and dried fruit around 1 1/2 - 2 hours before starting. I eat bananas, bread and Tracker bars while riding. Personally I don't like energy drinks, so use water and munch Dextrosol tablets. I usually have a slightly salty, high card meal the night before. However feeding is very much a case of what works for you.

Drink before you feel thirsty (certainly every 15 mins) - if you are feeling headachy then you are sure to be dehydrated. If you are not needing a pee stop every two hours you definitely are.

hamster":bjruf2j3 said:
I ride around 60-100 miles on road. For that kind of distance I need a solid breakfast, typically porridge with brown sugar and dried fruit around 1 1/2 - 2 hours before starting. I eat bananas, bread and Tracker bars while riding. Personally I don't like energy drinks, so use water and munch Dextrosol tablets. I usually have a slightly salty, high card meal the night before. However feeding is very much a case of what works for you.

Drink before you feel thirsty (certainly every 15 mins) - if you are feeling headachy then you are sure to be dehydrated. If you are not needing a pee stop every two hours you definitely are.

When we do the Sunday club run you daren't stop for a pee,you might not get back to the bunch! Many a time I've got back after 90miles bursting :shock:

When I'm riding (social, "racing" or guiding) I have just water in the camelback.

I may for long rides have a water bottle on the frame with either an energy or electrolyte drink (energy on cold days, electrolyte on warm/hot days), and a mixture of foods with me. Some fruit (banana in a bananaguard, trailmix, dried apricots), energy bars (clif bars are favourites) and maybe a gel or two for emergencies.

Oh, and a £10 note in the camelbak weighs nothing but can be really useful in a village shop.

Back