I'm looking for new tyres. Sorted thanks

xizang

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I'm looking for a change of tyre after the ride yesterday.
I've got Panaracer Fire 2.4 Fr tyres on my Voodoo and while the downhill sections are fun and predictable, the climbs and fire-road sections are a real drag due to the size and grip these puppies give.
I ride XC mainly I guess but like to do the odd downhill (slowly). Nothing mental or extreme, I'm too chicken for that.
I'm looking for a 2.2 - 2.4 tyre. I've looked at reviews, which are very, very varied.
I've narrowed it down to (mainly to cost):

Continental Mountain King 2.2

Tioga Blue Dragon Sport 2.3

Continental Vertical 2.3

Continental Mountain King 2.4 (the ones I'm favouring at the moment)

Any suggestions or personal opinions are greatly appreciated.

I use a specialized purgatory on the front of mine , I think they are a 2.2

Just noticed you have the moto raptor listed . I found it a fookin awful tyre to have on the front , shame really as I rate the velociraptor highly , I've stuck it on the rear to wear out .

perry":1oo6rkx6 said:
Just noticed you have the moto raptor listed . I found it a fookin awful tyre

Moto Raptor removed..........

I guess it'll be Continentals then. Possibly.

Do Continentals measure up as they should ie 2.2 is a true 2.2 not a 2.1.
Only asking as the Panaracer 2.4's measure up nearer 2.6 (I've just measured them) :?
If Conti's 2.4 were 2.3 that'd be good.

You never know though , you might find with the way you ride and where you live it's the best tyre you've ever used . Thats the problem with tyres , so many variables .

It's not too bad on the rear . I only like front tyres that have a firm outer knobblie to dig into the corners , I hate it when a tread feels squishy underneath you , never certain if it'll just let go and drop you on your side .

perry":1to6xq1t said:
You never know though , you might find with the way you ride and where you live it's the best tyre you've ever used . Thats the problem with tyres , so many variables .

That's the problem I'm having, it is a brilliant tyre for descending but a real pain in the butt for the flat and climbs.
It may also have been due to the fact that the ground was damp/softer than in the summer.
I could just put them away until next year and throw on some narrower Conti's for the winter (which is here btw as I had to de-ice my car this morning :( ).

Chose these in the end:

mking_extremes.jpg

I'll have to see how they go but they'll be approx 300g a tyre lighter.

Back