Things not to take apart

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
LX spd's for a start

2 rows of 14 tiny bearings,the row at the outboard side are easy to sort,but the other row is about an inch inside the pedal and not easy to get at.

After getting a small magnet in there i managed to extract them all :D

But how the hell do you get that row back in :shock:

I eventually managed to get some grease onto the race and seated the bearings by putting the spindle in the other way around,this stopped the bearings falling out the other side when i dropped them in.
Then i used a long pin to get all of them onto the race and gingerly removed the spindle,then carefully put the spindle in the right way so as not to knock them out of place.
I shall be forcing grease into the other pedal,sod taking it apart and going through that again.

Anybody else take something apart to service it,then wished they hadnt :LOL:

My wife's 1974 SL125 trailie :oops: :oops: :oops:

Rebuilt many bikes but this piece of oriental simplicity is going nowhere short term

My uncles Commodore 64 5-1/4 disk drive when I was 14, I was curious how they worked.
Took me a while to explain that one - they were quite expensive at the time too. He managed to fix it.

On the bike front I have never taken apart my Mag21s since I bought them in 92/3 - too frightened to - they still work fine though.

Shimano freewheels. Can be done but loads of hassle to rebuild. Thousands of tiny bearings!

Friday afternoon decided to take a Sturmey Archer apart .

Would have been fine if the guy who worked Saturdays had left it alone .

Come back monday and found my nicely set out rows of parts in a pile .

Springs in mechs can be a bugger .

I'm with Perry on the wish I had not started tasking an SA hub apart.
Basically you need special tools in imperial sizes, an exploded diagram and endless patience. I had none of those :oops:

A bike mechanic of old told me how he had to strip a 3 speed SA hub with built in drum brake when he was an apprentice. Apparently there are 135 seperate parts that must be removed and replaced in sequence and it helps if you have more than two hands :shock:

Should have tried a SRAM torpedo 3 speed hub, 25% less parts than a SA hub, as if that would have helped in any way :roll:

REKIBorter":1e7bmorj said:
Shimano freewheels. Can be done but loads of hassle to rebuild. Thousands of tiny bearings!

been there too :LOL:
Millions of tiny bearings :shock:

My Dad's brand new Stanley retractable tape measure when I was about 5 and quite a demon with a cross head screw driver. :roll:

I can still remember the BOING as the huge spring came out. It's quite impressesive the amount of parts they fit in that little chrome case[/i]

Back