Remoulding a second-hand Brooks saddle

roops70

Retro Newbie
Feedback
View
I have just acquired a Flyer second-hand and want to know about getting it to fit my shape rather than previous owner's.

The saddle is in very good condition, but with a bit of a sag. It dipped down half an inch from the horizontal line from point to rear, so I have tightened it up to a quarter inch of dip (there had been no adjustment taken out of nose bolt before). The sides were spreading out a bit too.

As far as comfort goes, it isn't bad, but I find myself sitting rather on my perineum. I think that the previous owner had a more aggressive stance, as there are clearly defined dimples from the sit bones, but the central part of the back seems unstretched.

I have heard about immersing a new saddle for a few minutes in warm water, then riding 3 or 4 miles, and then allowing it to dry naturally. Is this a good idea for a used saddle? Maybe it is too drastic for my needs. The other thing I am thinking of doing is to punch holes in the sides and lace them closer together. this would flatten out the back of the seat which is what I feel it needs.

Any ideas?

The only real way to mould a Brooks is to ride one, it takes a few hundred miles but it'll get there. I've read loads of quick solutions but never tried them to be honest. Just get out and ride!

There is no discomfort in this world that I've experienced that remotely comes close to that of breaking in a new one! At theast the leather would have softened a bit. Remember to proofhide it regularly

I have several, they're lovely :cool:

Never, ever ride a Brooks when it is wet. You might ruin it.

Fixies is right, it will mould to your shape in time. Or maybe you won't get on with it, and you'll sell it again.

But 6 months of agony seeing if you like Brooks saddles or not is a rite of passage every keen cyclist needs to experience. :p

Go to a horse riding place and get some saddle softener. The idea is it softens thick leather horse saddles so that they mould to the horse and rider better - works for me everytime. And while you're there get some saddle soap and clean the old owners arse sweat out of that saddle, euwh

Back