Photograph or Painting!! Rudge Whitworth Motorbike

CyclingTheLakes

Devout Dirtbag
??

When we take pictures of bikes (say this is a nice bicycle and picture but not quite in the same league http://beauty.nagog.smasher.net:81/bike/bianchi.jpg ) , they are rarely so fabulous looking, it must be a state of the art camera, the lens, fish eye etc., exposures and other effects. Now that I saw that it is part of a photo stream, I know they must be photographs but they are almost all quite smashing: http://www.flickr.com/photos/76563129@N ... otostream/ I love the way some of the old motorbikes look and the abundance of chrome and other shiny parts must be a large part of their being so photogenic though I like the older ones that appear close to bikes even better (WASP, etc.)

I thought the below was maybe a painting of a racing meet or something when I saw it first a few months ago.

Attachments

• 520584397_605615833e.jpg
    520584397_605615833e.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 920
Looks like it's an HDR composite image, you take multiple shots at different exposures and the let the 'puter do some magic.

If you look closely some of the people have moved, but are not blurred like in a slow shutter speed exposure.

The idea is to compensate for the relatively limited dynamic range of digital sensors (similar to the difference between colour slide film compared to colour negative) - i.e. you keep good details in the shadows, but don't burn out your highlights.

Nice bikes though!

TedC":35946m8v said:
Looks like it's an HDR composite image, you take multiple shots at different exposures and the let the 'puter do some magic.

If you look closely some of the people have moved, but are not blurred like in a slow shutter speed exposure.

The idea is to compensate for the relatively limited dynamic range of digital sensors (similar to the difference between colour slide film compared to colour negative) - i.e. you keep good details in the shadows, but don't burn out your highlights.

Nice bikes though!

Thank You for the responses TedC and Dyna-Ti:

I had to think about TedC's response but it makes good sense. Adjusting the colour on the computer can be even similar to changing the hue and other controls on a TV or 'puter (like if you can watch DVDs on your computer).

Dyna-Ti: Yes, to me it looks a lot like a painting and especially the way the clouds look. But because he has so many at flickr, now I can understand that they are photos. He over does it in quantity. If he only had a few.

But for those with artistic abilities, training or education, it gives me some ideas if I ever pursue that as a hobby.

Something about it too, looks a little bit like realistically drawn comic book art can look, say, if it is a motorbike for example.

Latest posts

Back