F.A.O mechanics / clever people, Transit Help

crud

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I have a 2001 Transit T260 2.0 FWD

It has been great, at anything from 0-50mph it drives ike new with no problems

above 60-70mph and especially when nearing 80mph, there is a loud droning / resonating/ vibrating sound coming from the engine / gearbox. This noise completly dissapears when i dip the clutch.

Otherwise speaking, the gearbox works well, there is no notchy changes, engages all gears well, and there is no clutch slip. there is no thrust spigot noise at idle, when i dip the clutch at idle there is no pitch / noise change.

The biggest problem i have here is im working short term in east germany and the van is here with me! I need to resolve this before making the long journey home, its fine day to day at the moment as i never reach over 60, but its going to be a long, slow, worrying drive home if i dont get to the bottom of it!

van is well serviced, 128k

anyone have any ideas? May it be the DMF?

I did post on the tranny forum, but with no response so far :cry:

i was hoping it was at first, but the sounds goes when i dip the clutch? it sounds exactly like that tho.

doesn't sound like a wheel bearing to me, it wouldn't disappear when you press the clutch in. Is it related to speed only, or a specific rpm range?

legrandefromage":1iqqkgr8 said:
bearings are funny buggers - when you put the clutch in, you're no longer putting torque through the wheels

New one on me :?

Could be an engine or gearbox mount, when putting the clutch in you are isolating the engine and box (motor returns to idle) so doesn't really tell much but would stop vibration/movement transmited through a worn mount.

Oil level in box ok ?

Sounds like the layshaft bearing in the gearbox. The one in my transit made a racket for ages but never failed completely.

Back