dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Question-

Can you clean disc pads with gt85 [or the cheapo 151 equivalent]
The pads are from a C2

Lets just say i have already cleaned them with gt85 [or the cheapo 151 equivalent]

Will there be tears before bedtime?

:?

You are joking, right? :shock:

If you're not they buy some high flashpoint solvent such as contact cleaner sold by Maplin and clean them off with that and a paper towel. Then rub the friction material over a bit of sandpaper or wet and dry.

It'd be safer to buy new pads though!

SP

I'd be inclined to say that the pads will be goosed. GT-85 or any light oil will not do your pads any good whatsoever.
You could try soaking them in some Isopropyl Alcohol to remove as much of the oil as possible and then evaporating the rest and drying them out in the oven.
Or you could just get some new ones.

dyna-ti":hlv2c4d3 said:
Question-

Can you clean disc pads with gt85 [or the cheapo 151 equivalent]

It's not the best idea. As Gt85 or equivalents are lubricants/light oils, braking performance will be impaired.

Either clean with an alcohol (IPA) based disc brake cleaner or new pads!!

Brake cleaner has worked for me, the odd times I've sprayed by pads, but I've never intentionally sprayed my pads with gt85.

I'd probably replace the pads to be safe.

be worth getting new pads based on age . i took the pads out of an old c2 caliper i have and while cleaning the back with a scourer managed to pop the braking material off . it was a few mill thick too :LOL:

Some old woman in a shop told me i should buy some wd40 for my brakes she said loads of people do it :eek: :? :roll: :shock:

What i would do is soak them feckers in petrol, wait for the petrol to evaporate, then heat them up over the gas cooker :twisted:

thats how i bed mine in

:oops:
I was only trying to clean the back of the pads,some probably got onto the pad itself but i wouldnt think much.

i did phone a biker pal on this and he says his discs pick up road film and can seem quite greasy.
He washes them in boiling water,said mine will be fine if i do the same.

i have done so and they seem fine :D

Crisis over

Back