Quest for the best budget 1" threaded head set???

davidfranklyne

Dirt Disciple
I'm looking to replace the 1" ISO threaded headset on my tourer/commuter. I'm going for a decent budget head set that will last and take a beating. It also needs to be for a 26.4 crown.

I've looked at:

Stronglight A9 - unfortunately this one is not being produced but a few shops still have them

Tange Leven (steel) - looks great, retails for £15-20

YST's got a cheap alloy headset retails for £15.99

Acor's also has one, looks cool, has decent seals but a fragile crown race

Any other ideas?

plenty of stronglight A9 steel on ebay for under a tenner, well sealed but not that light

you could try and find a NOS Ultegra600 headset I have one it weighs 95gms maybe 15gms lighter than an A9.
Frankly unless you are being really obscessive about this you would be better off buying an A9 and saving substantially more weight from your forks, seat post or chain or somewhere else
My recommendation would be for a Shimano Dura Ace . The one fitted to my 1992 Ribble is still going strong

The YST one is almost identical from what I've seen to Shimano one's
even down to the band on the part that goes into the frame.

Almost inclined to say YST made them for shimano, much like other companies make shimano parts.

peanut":14e0l6yf said:
My recommendation would be for a Shimano Dura Ace . The one fitted to my 1992 Ribble is still going strong

Whatever Kona fitted to my 88 Lava Dome is still working perfectly, and this was not a well treated bike before I got it!

ive got a stronglight delta needle bearing headset in silver.... its only been used for a couple of rides and then i put it back in its original plastic packaging,
yours cheap if you want it ? :)

magicmistertea":3r176ym0 said:
ive got a stronglight delta needle bearing headset in silver.... its only been used for a couple of rides and then i put it back in its original plastic packaging,
yours cheap if you want it ? :)

If David doesn't want it I would be interested, I'm in need of one (well two actually, but I'll take what I can!)

Back