further debate

crud

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
after the boss quite rightly put down this old dog

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 9&start=45

id like to talk further

at first i was so not arsed about the seller upping the price, it was others putting their 2ps worth that got me reposting

what really gets me is there are numorus posts in readers rides of bargain bikes with people congratulating

such as a grifter and burner for 40 quid, some single speed for fifty notes, with peeps congratulating them for cheap finds

some of the people on the thread have in the past sold nos goods at i guess a profit, who keeps that many tyres for a one off sale anyway?

what makes a generic one off sale in the clasifieds that different, why jump on the moral band wagon? tell me to f off if you want too, but i just dont get it?

I do agree with what you said on the tread. To quote my dad he was "naughty" to put the price up after the orginal offer.
But unfortunatly this is a community which is very supportive of each other, the flip side to this . everybody wants to have they say. must admit it did get very interesting, If they were all in a room it would have ended in a fight.
You are right to be steamed about there opinions. just remember opinions are like A*reholes everybody got one :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

As the King of Cheap Bling (can that be my new moniker??) I'm the last person to comment on getting stuff on the cheap. BUT, I have seen some stuff go on here very cheap AND I have also sold stuff here VERY cheap (whats with the caps lock??) anyway, I have had PM's asking why I'm selling stuff below price, and I've been tempted to tell some newbie that their stuff's too cheap but I've held back. Its not my business. I do comment on overpriced stuff but only with recent examples as guidence.

My next sale will, incidently, be an Orange...

I held back from posting in that for sale thread.

As i'm sure Crud will agree, the seller is well within his right to up the price mid sale, he could saw the bike in half and charge a 100 for each end if he wanted to. But the market, based on a bartering system thats probably 10's of thousands of years old has spoken.

The original price (not including postage remember) was a cheap but not a bargain price for a quick sale of a loft bike in the moving house stage. The bike remains unsold as far as i am aware since the price was upped. He may well sell it eventually.

Intrestingly, the chap joined this forum and his first post (and only posts so far) was to sell his one and only retrobike.

As i'm sure Crud will agree, the seller is well within his right to up the price mid sale, he could saw the bike in half and charge a 100 for each end if he wanted to. But the market, based on a bartering system thats probably 10's of thousands of years old has spoken.

The original price (not including postage remember) was a cheap but not a bargain price for a quick sale of a loft bike in the moving house stage. The bike remains unsold as far as i am aware since the price was upped. He may well sell it eventually.

Intrestingly, the chap joined this forum and his first post (and only posts so far) was to sell his one and only retrobike.

Ok i see your point but it would have annoyed the hell out of me if he increased the price once i had agreed a price to pay. it does not happen in a shop ?
i think the comments on the thread were hard on the newbie especially as it was his first post and just really wanted shot so he can move house...
I think some guidence is required from the more regular users maybe in the way of PM to let them know whats wrong and advise them. I am not suggesting hand holding but just to say "hey this would be better way of doing things"

ive mellowed out a bit today, too many beers and a bedsit 700 miles away from home can make you narky.

of course the whole debate started because of the good nature of people on here, i appreciate that its quite unique to this forum and whichever way you look at it, its a good thing.

although I think some people have been inadvertently hypocritical, but im not someone to hold a grudge, i cant even hold a thought for too long.

I will finish with this,

I would have quite happily taken that bike off him for a 100 notes In a blind sale.

I simply cant believe anyone here would, say, have seen that bike in a car boot sale with a £50 tag on and not walked away with the bike.

The guy had plenty of oppurtunity to do his homework and to set a fair price, something the guy you chat to in a bikeshop, the guy who dumped his bike in the skip, or a mate of a mate who has something in his cellar rarely has a chance too.

And as its posted regulary, these finds rarely (never?) have a moral objection.

Peace :cool:

Over and out.

hif he was happy with £100 , he should have sold it for £100 .

or stick it on ebay .

i once read that a price tag in a shop is not a price but merely an offer.the shop reserves the rightto increase the price if it wants to.this is to overcome items incorrectly priced (tescos did this to me once ).we as a forum rely on each others trust ect when buying things off each other with very little comeback if it goes wrong ie bad seller eg.if it turns out he becomes a regular then he knows he can trust us because we pointed out he was selling it too cheaply and will become as trustworthy as many others here..however if it turns out it was just a sell and leggit then ..his hard luck as we wouldnt be seeing him again.using the site as just a market place just makes it like ebay and not somewhere i want to be ..my 2pence.ps has anyone seen me rc 37s on ebay yet...bid bid bid....hehehe

I bought a complete Orange Clockwork from eBay for £100, nobody told me I was ripping the guy off, in-fact some forum members had offered him £80 :LOL:

Back