On-line Retailing ...tips costs etc??

Harryburgundy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Bit of an acorn of an idea this.
Have been wanting to set up my own wine shop for ages...but the bricks and mortar are too expensive. I have potential sources of good small grower wines etc.
So have been thinking about an On-line Wine Company. Without a shop I wouldn't need the margin requirement of a high street venture.

Thing is...I know didly about starting one, how to do it, web design, legalities etc.
Can anyone point me in the right direction for information.
Cheers
Carl

I suspect Jez could offer some advice, I seem to recall that is his line of work.

My wife may be able to help - she's a careers adviser and she tells me she has a few leaflets with web addresses etc on this very subject at work. Unfortunately she's off work ill at the moment, but she'll sort something when she's back if that's any use. Prompt me if I forget - should hopefully be by the end of next week with any luck.

it is already a busy market .

I know a few wine producer form the south of france who alsways ask me to help them sell over here , but never seem to have the time to look into it .

HB - I used to work in e-commerce before becoming a spreadsheet jockey so can answer questions you might have, but can't offer my services.

However, I have a very good friend who is a very talented web developer and has done this kind of thing before, looking at different payment systems etc. He also spent time working in the fine wine trade so could be a great contact.

Drop me a PM if you want more info.

Woody

Not sure about flogging wine online but Virgin wines are pretty much the biggie you will have to contend with.

As Chris says its quite a saturated market.

You can set yourself with a paypal ecommerce set up quite cheaply but again it depends on how many products you wish to sell etc.

Pm me if you need any further info about selling online but I'd look into advertising and selling locally first - perhaps talk to other wine merchants?

speaking of which , my week end business web site could do with a revamp .

the adress is www.tiddlywinkssoftplay.com.

I dont pay anything to host and dont even know how hosts it . :?

anyone would be interested in updating the site and giving advice on the hosting bit ?

Back