Bike GPS / sat nav

Captain Stupido

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Been looking up rides online, I've noticed there are quite a few gps rides to download, mostly in .gpx format.

Would also be good to have something that would help out navigating longer distance rides/tours without paper maps. Something with built in mapping would be extra useful if plans change or whatever...

I don't have a smartphone... I don't really want one.

What's good?

Re:

Thanks! Had arbitrarily decided that a second hand Edge 800 ought to do the trick (and there seem to be lots on eBay for less than a ton). Looking at that link the 800 seems to do most of the stuff that the 810 and 820 do.

800 =>810=>820 is mostly added toys, rather than any amazingly essential navigational features.

You could look at one of the touring versions, they miss out some of the connectivity features for a cheaper device. But i guess not many about second hand.
I still run a 605 for some of my rides (where battery life is a bit more important than heartrate/power/blah blah.)
Turn all the random extras off and just use mapping and i'm looking at 14-16 hours per charge. Did a 3 day thing last year on one charge (4% left when i finished!) The 810 i have does about 8, but i have more turned on.

Garmin for me too, with some caveats. For following a course with turn-by-turn instructions for an existing course (i.e. a gpx uploaded to the GPS device) the Edge 800/810 are great. I create a route on the Strava route builder and then upload them to the device. I found the bluetooth addition of the 810 useful as it syncs automatically to Strava at the end of a ride via your phone, but if you don't need that there's not a great deal of difference between the 800 and 810. If using the mapping a lot I find the bigger screen of the 1000 useful. But they're pricey...

For routing on the device itself I've never really enjoyed either the system on the Garmin itself or using the map on the touchscreen and in this respect the 800/810/1000 are pretty similar. If I'm out on a ride and have to find a route I'll invariably get the phone out of my pocket, turn Waze on and turn the volume up high so I can hear the turn guidance from the phone in my back pocket. (The lack of voice instructions for turns is a weakness of the Edge 800/810/1000.)

If battery life for long rides is a concern you can use those Garmin models plugged into a USB powerbank with a makeshift assembly to mount it on the bike (I velcro strap the power bank under my stem). The powerbanks cost hardly anything nowadays and a compact one between 2000 and 3000mAh will charge it a few times over.

Re:

Nice, thanks guys. I'll keep an eye on eBay for a bargain... in the meantime if anyone has upgraded and got an old one for sale then get in touch.

Back