Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:09 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:04 pm 
BoTY Winner
BoTY Winner

shedobits wrote:
Hope to get to Aldermarston too but PLEASE don't let me buy anything. :D

:lol:

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:25 am 
Retro Guru

Nearly back in the Saddle:

I’m sure that everyone on here will understand that I intend to start riding again as soon as I am able.

The Surgeon told me however that I will need 10 weeks to recover from my open Bowel Surgery. I took this as being the amount of time that I will need to be signed off work. I was told not to try and lift anything during this time for fear of causing a hernia, and presumably to avoid straining the internal stitching. Mind you I have indeed coughed, and sneezed since the operation, both of which were an unpleasant experience. Prior to, and far worse than that though, I have also vomited twice - this was 7 days after the surgery, and that was bloody painful across my abdomen.

Anyway, as I appear to be still held together after all of that with no sign of damage, I have this morning started to organise things with a view to swinging a leg over a bike again.

As you know I am in the Mike Muzz club of Seat Post height, but right now, there is no chance that I would be able to adopt anything like that sort of forward reaching, stretched out X.C. racing position. So I decided that my 1997 Kona Koa would be set-up somewhat differently for the purpose of easing into riding a bike again.

I removed the 400mm Post that was fitted, and stuck in a shorter alternative topped off with a very faded X-Lite Kevlar Saddle. The Bars are Easton EA50 Monkey Bar 640mm x 40mm Rise, which brings them above the height of the Saddle. My usual Saddle to floor measurement is 40”, and this now measures 36” - I think it more resembles a Dirt Jumper now, than my usual rides!

It will be 4 weeks on Monday since my Surgery, so I will attempt to at least sit on the thing, even if I need a mount it from a raised step. If I feel comfortable enough, I may even try to peddle it along too.

ImageUntitled by Philip Mock, on Flickr

ImageUntitled by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Pip.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:58 pm 
Retro Guru

PIp, what was you thinking? That colour saddle doesn't go with those decals. :D Looking forward to your ride report.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:13 pm 
Retro Guru

^^^^
L :lol: L

Yeah you're right there Jeff - I thought it is the best I had that I find comfy enough. I have got a Black Selle Italia Turbo, but I thought a bit of colour would be a good idea :facepalm: .

Pip

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:39 pm 
Retro Guru

1st Ride after Reversal:

Rightyho, this was taken just before I set out on my 1st ride since the 16th June, the day before my Surgery. I’ll probably not volunteer that information to the Colorectal Surgery Team when I see them for my first check-up on 9th August. I felt comfortable enough to ride, without it pulling on anything - and I am technically sat down while doing something that I find relaxing :wink: .

This is also the first time that I have worn any shorts or trousers with a waistband and belt since November 2017. I’m looking forward to pulling on a pair of jeans again!

Image1st Ride After Reversal by Philip Mock, on Flickr

There is a very short piece on Today’s Ride.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=303296&p=2952834#p2952834

Pip

Post subject: Re: Nearly there....
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:54 pm 
GOLD | PoTM | Rider | rBOTM
GOLD | PoTM | Rider | rBOTM

Well done and.....

Attachments:
0E311E59-BFF4-4079-84BF-C8125B4C6EBA.jpeg
0E311E59-BFF4-4079-84BF-C8125B4C6EBA.jpeg [ 46.11 KiB | Viewed 463 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:26 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

To everyone out there that doesn't really have a mental picture of just *HOW MUCH* of Pip was opened up, imagine they cut you, straight up, from the base of your knob, all the way up to your rib cage. it's a very significant incision.

And another, several inches long, heading sideways, over one side of your stomach.

Props to you Pip, but take it easy, as the muscles underneath do take time to knit together, and it really does take 7-8 weeks to regain most of it's strength.

I give this post 12 thumbs up :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:01 pm 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys

<looks at sore finger, backs quietly away from the laptop>

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:04 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Wanna see a pic of mine...?

Er...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:01 am 
Retro Guru

My_Teenage_Self wrote:
Wanna see a pic of mine...?

Er...

I think it was fine Steve for you and I to compare our scars in a kinda of Jaws film scene type stylee - the bit on board the Orca fishing boat between Robert Shaw (Quint), Richard Dreyfuss (Hooper) & Roy Scheider (Brody) :lol:.

I'm not sure however if the average RB member will be able to stomach (see what I did there?) those pictures :shock: ...... perhaps they would like to let us know on here :?: .

Having said that, there does seem to be a tradition of showing riding scars amongst the MTB fraternity, in some sort of gruesome fascination.

Pip

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next