Teach me about alloy wheels

Harryburgundy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I think I want some alloy wheels to my 92 Clio
Standard wheels are 13" 4 x 100
What can I fit either as is or with converters...I don't really understand all the numbers!

Re:

As daft as it sounds, it depends on the brakes and the plans for the rest of the car.

If it's staying stock then get stock alloys or it.

If your going to drop it a little & chuck decent looking calipers and maybe some drilled discs on then go for a wide gap / narrow spoked 5 spoke on low profile rubber to finish off destroying the ride comfort but show off the mod.

Re:

Thanks

Yes, it is minty. Literally one owner from 1992 before I bought it two weeks ago. Always garaged and it shows. 55k miles at 16 service stamps! I'm a bit concerned that I'm going to ruin it commuting.

It's totally standard and I intend to keep it that way but some wheels would be nice...period ones are impossible to find.

What I don't understand, standard wheel is 13" so I need 13" or could go to 14"? And what about the width of rim?

Best go and visit a reputable wheel / tyre place. I used to go to revolution Motorstore based in the Noth east. Vast stock and knew what fitted what :)

Shaun

Re:

You can go to 14 or possibly 15 and fit progressively lower profile rubber.

The problem you will find with bigger alloys is you lose the ride comfort of the stock height sidewalls.

Width can give you issues with arch clearance on the outside or rubbing on the inside so bump stops need to be adjusted if your going above its comfortable parameters.

The best bet for size is to look in the book as it should give you all the factory options at the time and all of them should be simple to fit and go without issue.

If you alter the entire wheel+rubber height you can also start altering acceleration / speed balance slightly but more importantly it can knock your speedo out of sync.

Gratuitous shot of my impreza on 19" Kahn RSV's

358dzc9.jpg

Go big :)

Back