Take A Step Back

highlandsflyer

Retro Wizard
Feedback
View
_96349602_mediaitem96349601.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-e ... e-40179483

If anyone questions what value immigrants bring to the country, think for a minute about this beautiful young lady who came here to work in medicine, and who is like all of us, a cyclist, and tragically lost her life on our roads.

My mother is alive thanks to similar souls who are here from Asia.

Without them, many of us would find reaching tomorrow harder, or impossible.

God bless all our outsourced workers.

Re:

I have just spent the last 5 days by my mothers side in hospital. From porter to consultant I saw every nationality, colour, ethnicity, race and sex, each providing excellence and dedication to providing care for all.
I couldn't imagine how the NHS would survive without them, and I'm very grateful.
I'm deeply concerned by the growing little englander mentality in the UK, I think we all know who to blame. I'm also deeply worried for the future for our NHS, paid by us over the past several decades. Are we really going to let the likes of Branson buy it, and squirrel away his profits to the Cayman Islands?

City of Edinburgh Council said it has made "every effort" to raise awareness about the tracks.
Does this not strike anyone else as crassly insensitive and a massing buck passing exercise?

"We f**ked up the design, failed to actually take note of what little consultation we did. So now we're going to accuse anyone who has an accident of being unaware."

I'm surprised that no one else has died yet. Or that no one has sued.

Disappointed in this thread

One poster makes it about immigration,

another makes it about the the tories and "little Englanders" despite it happening in Scotland and despite Edinburgh council having
19 - SNP Group
18 - Conservative Group
12- Labour Group
8 - Green Group
6 - Liberal Democrat Group

and yet the only real thing that should have been noted is that a cyclist has died.

The Dutch, famous for their bikeways have similar problems with trams and bicycles and I saw this earlier in the year http://road.cc/content/news/215067-devi ... r-cyclists

As cyclists demand more but are unwilling to pay towards it, cities will only have a finite amount of resources. Cycle lanes in established cities are difficult to place even more so as they seem to be at the cost of road lanes so instead of making congestion fog less, often can cause more traffic jams therefore more fumes

I do think we need a clearer way to bring cycling safely into our cities particularly on new towns and city planning, but also need to understand that conversions of old cities often brings more restrictions than possibilities and if we know a threat exists then we also need to be personaly responsible for our own risk assessments

again, another cyclist dying is a sad event

In 2014, of 21,287 reported cycling-related accidents, 3154 were fatal.

RoSPA record that 84% - yes, 84% - of cycling RTAs involved cars and bicycles coming together.

I dread to think what the figures will be this year with the increase in cycling journeys and participants - and the ever-worsening/hardening driver attitudes and behaviours towards vulnerable cyclists. I can hardly make a cycling journey these days without some aggressive shouty comments from drivers and increasingly their passengers. This contagion has to be stopped.

It is time to make the driver way more responsible for the accident unless able to prove the cyclist was at fault. We as drivers have a duty of care to all non-vehicle protected road users whether we consider them a nuisance or not.

https://www.rospa.com/road-safety/advic ... s-figures/

A terrible thing, and they were told there was a danger of the wheel getting caught in the track. Again it seems to be the case that we're not worth the cost of the lifeboats :?

I've been cought in the tram rail in Amsterdam a couple of times and its scary as it seems to take control off you. I dont know though if theres any way of preventing a wheel catching in it, certainly the Netherlands havent addressed the issue other than a separate lane with small lip separating bike lane and roadway, but theres still the problem of crossing junctions etc where you cannot avoid them.

Hopefully the council will do more to separate bike lanes from roadways and tram lines. But that project has been ripped off financially so I dont think theyve a budget left for that.

I suppose same with everything. Just be aware and be careful.

Re:

I have some ideas to stop this happening. I think it would be massively expensive to implement, but trams are a LOT heavier than bicycles.

Back