Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Hi folks,

Looking into doing this, having seen - through comparison sites - that I could save over £100 a year.

Some have early exit fees, some don't but rates are not fixed over a certain period. Meaning it may rise during the period.

Any other ways to be caught out, that you know of? Or bad experiences with changing over?

Thanks

Mike

Re:

Do it every year, you tend to find or at least I have that it's the same ones every year.
Only thing g to take note of it you may loose use of your smart meter if you shave one. EDF for example don't use it here, given i have one fitted (British Gas standard one) i have no idea why.

But doesn't matter, you just go back to the old method of telling them every now and again.

Take pictures of your readings at changover time.

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":2cxbd1pt said:
Do it every year, you tend to find or at least I have that it's the same ones every year.
Only thing g to take note of it you may loose use of your smart meter if you shave one. EDF for example don't use it here, given i have one fitted (British Gas standard one) i have no idea why.

But doesn't matter, you just go back to the old method of telling them every now and again.

Take pictures of your readings at changover time.

Just what I wanted to hear!

Every year, like my car insurance. :cool:

I think EDF are in the process of installing smart meters. At our expense, whether we want them or not.

'We must pay towards renewables and fitting of Smart meters' No, I must pay, buggers!

I've always given actual readings, ringing through to an automated service with the figures. Every few months or so

Mike

Re:

I just use the phone app whenever i remember (with EDF at the moment).

You should not pay for a smart meter, that's up to the energy company. It was really nice under British Gas they did a good job at fitting it all, shame they are not the cheapest this past or coming year.

Check with MrMoneySavingBlokes website, it's quite nice and reminds you and will tell you if it's worth jumping at any time if prices drop.
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub

Unfortunately prices seem to be about £150 more for me next year :-(

Re: Re:

secret_squirrel":176zxgze said:
Use the money saving expert switching site. Remembers the tariff you are in and sends you a message when you can save money AND when any lock-in has run out.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub

Also don't touch smart meters with a barge pole, they have very little energy saving credentials and they'll be getting hacked within a couple of years.

Not checked but not quite sure how you hack a device that is not connected to the internet, just jumps on the back end of Mobile.
You need to hack that, say pretend to be the base station.
But they should hopefully have thought of that and keep their security up to date. ;-)

Of course a different type of hack might be needed...
Like break into the house and press some buttons.
Still Government wants them in and it's not actually up to us if we have them or not.
The Companies own it and supply the electricity. Only from then on do we have some choice.

Re:

The link between the home display and the can be hacked. Some of the models are WiFi enabled.

And its not compulsory to have one. You are well within your rights to refuse them. Just because the Government wants us to do something doesn't mean we have to.

Re:

But if the energy suppliers want them (the smart part, displays etc are not needed. Smart meaning it relay usage back is all it means, they are not actually very smart)
Then you have no choice what dial/digital/smart meter you have. They are not ours.

The only choice will be to find a supplier that doesn't want them in.
At the moment it's only opt-in since they take time to put in so they big them up as a cool thing to have.

Re:

So,

I call EDF,

After 7 or 8 mins, I actually speak to someone! :shock:

Having given account details . . . .

Hello, I'd like to not have a smart meter fitted, please.

That's absolutely fine, I'll book you an appointment.

For what?

To have one fitted.

No, I said I didn't want to have one fitted.

Oh ok, that's alright. You may get a phone call from someone to ask if you do not want one fitted.

So, having called you to request a meter not being fitted, you will call someone, who may then call me, to see if I want to not have a meter fitted?

Yes, well they run a different system to us.

And can I leave them on hold for 10 minutes, before speaking to them?

That's up to you.

Thank you

Priceless!

I wish I were a comedian, there's enough real life jokes, without having to make any up.

Back