Roof rack advice please.

Stick Legs

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I'm off to the Pyrenees in August (Aôut?) with the family and my road bike for a fortnight.
I plan to load the car (a 2016 BMW 330d) with a roof bars and a Thule 1/2 width top box and my road bike.
I was thinking of using the Elite San Remo attachment as these are very discreet when not in use and hold the bike by the fork QR which with carbon frames is a consideration.

The thing is, what do you guys do at motorway services?
A cable lock around the frame to the roof rack, stand guard over the bike or do you just risk is? Is bike theft off racks even a thing?

Your own preferences on rack, top box, bike and lock willingly accepted as I haven't bought anything yet.

Thanks.

Stick Legs":265vg0a6 said:
Is bike theft off racks even a thing?
Yes, hugely. We ended up with a van when we were driving all over the country to races. Just made life so much easier.

If you are going to roof rack it, get a lockable roof rack and a lockable bike rack, then lock the bike to the roof rack (or the car, can get long cables with balls on the end to do this.). So all the weak points at least have a lock in place. It won't stop it being nicked, but it'll slow the scrotes down.

Also, check the manufacturer hasn't put any caveats on roof rack use when using a front wheel off mount, it can damage the drop outs/fork tips in some scenarios. At least two of our forks are not warrantiable if you do that. Down tube mounting *can* be better (depending on the frame).

playboater%20rackguard%20security%20cable.jpg

Thanks for that. Locking it to a lockable roof rack sounds like a good idea.
for longer stops I though I could always take the wheels off and put it in the car once the back seat is un-occupied.

Luckily it's just my bike coming. :)

Yeah, the locks certainly aren't actually much good, they just slow things down (slightly).
The locking the bike to the car will probably do the most slowing down.

If you are taking the wheels off anyway it would be safer in the car, out of sight out of mind type thing. Locks on racks are pretty useless, oh, and if you do go with a roof rack try to remember its there when you drive into car parks with height barriers, its embarrising if nothing else :facepalm:

mkone":8wv5z15x said:
If you are taking the wheels off anyway it would be safer in the car, out of sight out of mind type thing. Locks on racks are pretty useless, oh, and if you do go with a roof rack try to remember its there when you drive into car parks with height barriers, its embarrising if nothing else :facepalm:

VERY concious about toll booths and this!

It has to go on the roof as I will be loaded up for a fortnight in France in a 3 series.
But can get put inside when peoples are out of the car.

Back