Bike on Trains

I didn't think you could take a bike on a train since they' got rid of guards carriages

Alison

If the point is to maximise space allowing for more seating for the passengers then yes.
And lose the toilets if theres any too. That will free up even more.

I know if I want to take a bike on a train, then it's best to plan it. I do so outside of rush hours and in advance. That is more about me being practicable about what I need and the resources available too me. I get fed up by the special snowflakes who demand I have a bike and you must accommodate me.

No one has ever guaranteed that bikes have a right to go onto public transport.

Reservations have been mandatory for Virgin trains for years. Ditto the east coast route. Arriva still seem to be turn up and take your chances (which can be worse in some ways if you need to make certain connections).

I'm afraid this battle has already been lost in large parts of the country. The bit of the petition saying about reductions in storage is speculation.

No doubt it is a pain if you are only going about 20 miles, daily and at peak times though which I guess is why local train operators don't bother.

I don't know of any rail company who has restrictions on folders (except certain parts of the Tube at peak hours). That's the solution if you want to retain flexibility.

Re:

Most long-distance operators - Chiltern excepted - have always been reservation-only; for all their otherwise awful service, CrossCountry do have limited turn-up-and-go provision these days, whilst East Midlands are very pro-active (Virgin WC, who demand reservations even on the 12 miles and 2 stops from Birmingham to Wolverhampton, take note) and willing to be flexible, taking bikes without reservations if there's space.

It's true that a lot of rolling stock has worse bike provision these days, on the plus side the mandatory reservation fee of British Rail days has thankfully been abolished (anyone else a seasoned enough traveller with bike to remember that?).

David

Back