kneecap bursitis

kingbling

rBotM Winner
PoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Hi has anyone or know of anyone who has had this aliment due to cycling. I did a fairly hard ride yesterday and whilst packing boxes this afternoon my knee has swollen up pretty bad, no pain. The internet has suggested that its probably bursitis. I will go to the Doc's tomorrow to get it checked out, but am hoping its been caused by to much kneeling and not riding any info appreciated thanks

kingbling":3ifag8ay said:
Hi has anyone or know of anyone who has had this aliment due to cycling. I did a fairly hard ride yesterday and whilst packing boxes this afternoon my knee has swollen up pretty bad, no pain. The internet has suggested that its probably bursitis. I will go to the Doc's tomorrow to get it checked out, but am hoping its been caused by to much kneeling and not riding any info appreciated thanks

I had bursitis a few years ago in my right knee (housemaids knee), I diagnosed myself, doctor merely confirmed - common ailment among cyclists - especially pros in the old days.

Treatment at home is simple, but you need commitment: cortisone injections aren't a fix. If you want more details I'll post when back from work.

Remember this simple and basic acronym - RICE: Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation (it's a clue).

Jon.

Re:

I've had this on my left kneecap for two years now. It isn't painful and hasn't restricted my cycling. It burst once when I knelt on it but swelled up again.
Pain occurs when it becomes infected AFAIK.

3 Co-Codamol and a cup of Whiskey. Send someone off for a supermarket bag of ice and plonk yourself down for the remainder of the eve.

A small bell for calling the servant is a must.

Re:

Amusing though the replies are, if I had Bursitis they wouldn't help - or not much. I'll pm my contact details if you want to chat.

A friend of mine had the same problem (when I did), I persisted and sorted it with the right treatment, he didn't persevere and suffers still. This ailment can arise from a poor position on the bicycle, incorrectly positioned cleats (especially retroriders with toeclips and straps). In some cases it can arise from the thigh muscles working excessively - especially on cold or wet (or both) days.

Jon.

Back