Question for the RB electricians

REKIBorter

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Need to install an outside 32A power supply.

Already have a garage consumer unit in a summer house which is supplied from the house main CU with 6mm2 AWS from a 32A MCB. So that is already in order.

So far I think I need; 4mm2 AWS to run from the GCU to the socket with 32A Isolator and 32A commando socket. The demand at the business end will be 3KW. The cable run will be 12m. All the work will be tested and inspected by a registered sparky after it is done.

Couple of questions:
Should I uprate the main house MCB to 40A or 50A as it is also running additional sockets on the summer house spur?

Could I use a combined 32A socket and switch instead of a seperate isolator and socket as the GCU already has an isolator switch?
Like this: http://www.rselectricalsupplies.co.uk/g ... GwodMzEIaw

Re:

It's quicker for me to do the installation as it needs doing like yesterday. Just wanted a second opinion. Forgot about the glands - the shopping list is getting longer and more expensive.

Have spoken to said sparky and we are going with the combined socket and isolator

Re:

All done. 4mm2 SWA is a PITA to work with, heavy, unflexible and tricky to strip. At least I am finished with it.

Have rewired a number of houses and workshops/garages and don't envy you. My brother is the expert, so next time he is over I am sure I will be dancing over joists staring down cavities, as I need to upgrade the 'shed' to a workshop capable of running a welder. Need to run water out to it as well, so will be dealing with that too. Lots of fun!

Back