To those of you still using rulers to measure things...

fjpshaw

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Asked for confirmation of steerer length from a very helpful eBay seller selling a nice set of forks, and got this in reply. How 2014 of me to expect a measurement in millimetres.

15821616554_07c90601c5_o.png

(If anyone has a Sky HD remote handy, would you be able to measure bottom to 'Sky' button for me please? :roll:)

Ahh the joys of a standardised measuring system....as someone who doesn't have Sky TV that method of measuring is utterly useless. Now if he'd used a Samsung TV remote....... ;)

We got rid of Sky years ago, but I sensibly held on to the remote in anticipation of an event such as this (my wife must feel so stupid right now). It is thanks to this foresight that I know the steerer to be in the region of 170mm.

I am equally prepared if I receive measurement in Nokia chargers, empty whisky bottles, or stringless violins inherited from grandparents.

Re:

I think I know why you're not getting a proper size.

I rotated the pic until the steerer was vertical. I'm measuring 258-ish pixels across the top of the crown, which on my Reba is 165mm wide.

So far so good, but then I measured the steerer tube and that's 227-ish pixels.

227 / 258 = 0.87984496....

165 mm * 0.87984496 = 145mm steerer length. (5.7155")

Of course you need to keep in mind that the steerer tube is further away from the lens than the crown is, but you'll still be looking at 160-ish mm (6.2-ish inches)

My Bulls has a 10cm (4") headtube with them modern integrated bearings and I run a very compact build (only one 5mm ring and then the stem) , and even then my steerer tube is more than half an inch longer. In other words, you'll need an extender if you want to use that fork on anything other than a kid's bike.

Back